D&D 5E True Polymorph

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yes, as long as you can see yourself anyway.

If you turn yourself into an object, though, you would not be able to concentrate and the spell would immediately end.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Makes sense. It seems to imply though that although you get the creature's mental ability scores, you would still know your spells and be able to use them if you're in a form that can speak, make somatic gestures etc.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
My question is what do you get out of this that Shapechange doesn't provide? The creature changes are essentially the same. And if it is ruled that you cannot concentrate while an object, it just seems Shapechange does all of this (for yourself anyway). Also, because Shapechange does exist, it does imply that True Poly may not be able to target self.

jgsugden

Legend
Shapechange allows you to switch forms. True Polymorph does not.

Shapechange allows you to retain your alignment and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus listed in its statistics is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus in place of yours. You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so. You get the best of both world's basically.

With True Polymorph, your game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the new form. You retain your alignment and personality only. You lose your spellcasting abilities, although you may retain the ability to concentrate on an existing spell (if someone else casts this on you - if you cast it on yourself, you can concentrate on it). Essentially you become the target creature.

True Polymorph can become permanent while Shapechange ends after an hour.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Shapechange allows you to switch forms. True Polymorph does not.

Shapechange allows you to retain your alignment and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus listed in its statistics is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus in place of yours. You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so. You get the best of both world's basically.

With True Polymorph, your game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the new form. You retain your alignment and personality only. You lose your spellcasting abilities, although you may retain the ability to concentrate on an existing spell (if someone else casts this on you - if you cast it on yourself, you can concentrate on it). Essentially you become the target creature.

True Polymorph can become permanent while Shapechange ends after an hour.

While all true, completely irrelevant to the question about applying to ones self. Are you for example, implying a caster could use True Poly on themselves to gain a permanent change? That seems sketchy at best to me.

jgsugden

Legend
While all true, completely irrelevant to the question about applying to ones self. Are you for example, implying a caster could use True Poly on themselves to gain a permanent change? That seems sketchy at best to me.
My response was to the immediately prior comment, primarily:

Of course they can cast it on themsleves, maintain concentration for an hour and make it permanent. However, they can't just dismiss it. They have to 'injure themselves out' or get it dispelled.

See: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/01/true-polymorph-self/

WaterRabbit

Explorer
My response was to the immediately prior comment, primarily:

Of course they can cast it on themsleves, maintain concentration for an hour and make it permanent. However, they can't just dismiss it. They have to 'injure themselves out' or get it dispelled.

See: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/01/true-polymorph-self/

The comment before was mine and it was in the context of casting it on one's self.

My question is why bother casting it on one's self instead of just using Shapechange? I don't really see what the advantage that is being sought?

In AD&D, an elf would look to do something like this so they could be raised, but I don't really see the value in 5e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases