Help with new character

Paul Smart

Explorer
I need help choosing my next character. I already play a Tortle Green Knight in AL so I am looking for some sort of caster or maybe a monk.

I rolled the following stats 17,16,16,15,13,10.

Any non flying race is allowed. Starting at level 3.

Background is Noble.

Thanks.

Edit:

My Tortle Green Knight is no more. This opens everything up. Give me your best suggestions please.

Last edited:

delph

Explorer
What about Kenku Monk dex 18, wis 18

Edit: what about druid 2 monk 1.

You can use druid animal shape, And in animal shape you get + your wisdom (+4) to AC And one 1d4 attack. You can cast, heal, fight...

Last edited:

Esker

Hero
High Elf Bladesinger? Start with 18s in DEX and INT, 16 in CON.

Tabaxi Swords Bard? (same thing but swap INT and CHA)

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I need help choosing my next character. I already play a Tortle Green Knight in AL so I am looking for some sort of caster or maybe a monk.

I rolled the following stats 17,16,16,13,10,9.

Any non flying race is allowed. Starting at level 3.

Background is Noble.

Thanks.

You don't roll stats in adventure league do you?

FrogReaver

If someone wants to play a generic caster for a caster experience my advice is wizard as it gives you tons of known spells, rituals and a huge spell list to choose from.

If your pre racial stats are 17 16 16 then the basic int - dex - con setup works well. Be a variant human for the feat. Highest stat for INT. Then put a +1 in your con stat to make it odd (you'll take resilient con eventually). There's tons of great wizard feats to start with. Alert, Resilient Con, Healer, Warcaster etc.

Place your 13 into a classes stat you might be interested in multiclassing into later - or into a stat that supports skills you like. For example, wisdom so you can dip 2 levels in tempest cleric at some point for shields and the channel divinity ability to maximize lightning or thunder damage once per short rest. Or maybe charisma to have a +1 to deception and persuasion.

Esker

Hero
You don't roll stats in adventure league do you?

I read that to mean that his other character, who happens to be in AL, is a Green Knight, so he's looking for a contrast; not that this one is an AL character.

If someone wants to play a generic caster for a caster experience my advice is wizard as it gives you tons of known spells, rituals and a huge spell list to choose from.

If your pre racial stats are 17 16 16 then the basic int - dex - con setup works well. Be a variant human for the feat. Highest stat for INT. Then put a +1 in your con stat to make it odd (you'll take resilient con eventually). There's tons of great wizard feats to start with. Alert, Resilient Con, Healer, Warcaster etc.

Place your 13 into a classes stat you might be interested in multiclassing into later - or into a stat that supports skills you like. For example, wisdom so you can dip 2 levels in tempest cleric at some point for shields and the channel divinity ability to maximize lightning or thunder damage once per short rest. Or maybe charisma to have a +1 to deception and persuasion.

All sound advice. A different approach than the one I was taking, which was to capitalize on the opportunity to start with two 18s to play a gish type character that with a normal stat array would be ASI hungry. But FrogReaver is right that a straight up caster wants <casting stat>, DEX, and CON regardless, so you could take the high stats as an opportunity to pick up a bunch of fun feats. As a variant human wizard you could have maxed INT, Alert, Resilient (CON) and War Caster by level 12. If you go with the War Magic tradition you'd have a +13 initiative modifier at that point, and up to a +13 (with advantage) on concentration saves when you use arcane deflection. That would make for an amazing controller.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yea, that 13 in your quaternary stat really opens up a lot of interesting dip options. If you're leaning caster, I'd definitely lean towards a cleric 1/wizard X. VHuman, grab Resilient(Con) and start with 18 Int, 18 Con, and 16 in Str or Dex, depending on what domain you grab.

FrogReaver

Yea, that 13 in your quaternary stat really opens up a lot of interesting dip options. If you're leaning caster, I'd definitely lean towards a cleric 1/wizard X. VHuman, grab Resilient(Con) and start with 18 Int, 18 Con, and 16 in Str or Dex, depending on what domain you grab.

Yea that's a possibility. There's not a wrong answer but IMO the more I think about wizards, the more I want the dex for initiative. Getting your strong spells out before the enemies even go can make fights a lot easier. Also gaining your higher level spells a level earlier (especially in the lower levels) is pretty powerful.

Alternatively, the 13 could go in dex with +1 from variant human and you could use medium armor. While having a high int and con and cha/wis.

Esker

Hero
Yea that's a possibility. There's not a wrong answer but IMO the more I think about wizards, the more I want the dex for initiative. Getting your strong spells out before the enemies even go can make fights a lot easier. Also gaining your higher level spells a level earlier (especially in the lower levels) is pretty powerful.

Alternatively, the 13 could go in dex with +1 from variant human and you could use medium armor. While having a high int and con and cha/wis.

Yeah, if single classed wizard I would prioritize DEX 18 over CON 18, mainly since it boosts your AC by 1, though the initiative boost is good too. If you can turn a hit into a miss one extra time in 20, then you also avoid having to make concentration saves one extra time in twenty (for attacks, anyway, though DEX also governs many AoE damage saves), which is even better than having a boost to your chance to succeed.

If dipping cleric for medium armor and shields, then depending on which and how many cleric spells you care about, either 18 INT, 16 WIS, 16 CON, 14 DEX or 18 INT, 17 CON, 16 DEX, 13 WIS (maybe even 18 CON if you pick Resilient as your 1st level feat) are probably the best options, assuming variant human.

Remove ads