D&D 5E Camping outside the BBEG's door: yea or nay?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I've never once had a situation where the PCs wanted to camp just outside the BBEG's lair.

The terrifying noises, foul odors, and the increasing frequency and quantity of armed guards usually dissuade them from even mentioning it.

In all seriousness: it's usually not a good idea in my games, and it's not usually very helpful either. I balance my dungeons carefully such that the party usually reaches the "boss fight" with ample resources if they are smart about it. You know: sneaking past guards and bribing monsters, and avoiding calling attention to themselves. If the party were able to somehow take a long rest right outside the lair and start the battle with full resources, I'd have to add bodyguards or something to rebalance the encounter.

But that's a rare exception. My players tend to favor stealthy-type characters, so the whole "sneak in and assassinate the villain" gig works out pretty well for them. And since I award full XP for monsters they defeat with skill (instead of spell or bloodshed), they have less incentive to blast every door off its hinges and slay everything that moves.

And even when things go awry and they end up having to fight more than they had planned for, there's usually a clearly-marked exit for them to use if they decide they need to retreat and try again in a few days. But I don't (and won't) create boss fights that need the party to have 100% of their resources to be victorious. The journey from the dungeon entrance to the boss lair should be memorable, and the path they chose to get there should matter.

Last edited:

I think the fact that my players are overpreparing for the boss battle, means that I've done my job as a DM when it comes to setting the scene and establishing a big threat. Now it's all a matter of escalating each day they delay the inevitable, and see how they respond to the consequences of their choices.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
As a player, I often wonder how much is too much in terms of prep. That doesn't mean sleeping, but self-buffs as well. As a 3.5 guy especially, it can begin to feel silly when you layer 7 protective enchantments before daring to boot open a door.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Sure, if you want to be sewn into an undead abomination in your sleep...

Or eaten...

Or TPK'd...

Or really anything that could happen near the Boss's lair...

A cinematic short rest I will allow before a big battle. Long rest, no way.
The party will need to retreat, to safety, for a long rest. If they stay near the lair, they need to be hidden to avoid ambush.

When the party returns to the lair, things have changed. If the party is lucky, some of the minions are back as zombies and other basic undead, or just plain brought back to life. Another option, the BBEG has called in reinforcements or allies to help. The worst case, the BBEG has decided to move, and has left no trace where he went.

I agree that DM's shouldn't, but if the players put themselves into a situation where they have no chance of success despite my every attempt to stop them, then ultimately I have to respect their freedom to make their own choices and give them what they want.

Yeah, but that's not really my issue. The players are doing absolutely everything they can to make sure they are as prepared as possible to face the villain. Rushing in recklessly is the opposite of how they play. But the problem still remains that the villain is very intelligent, very powerful, never leaves a very well defended lair, and time is of the essence.

And the longer players spend preparing the stronger the villain gets and the closer to world domination.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
As a player, I often wonder how much is too much in terms of prep. That doesn't mean sleeping, but self-buffs as well. As a 3.5 guy especially, it can begin to feel silly when you layer 7 protective enchantments before daring to boot open a door.

...And then the gargantuan octopus-beholder takes them all away with one glance. ;)

...And then the gargantuan octopus-beholder takes them all away with one glance. ;)

It started to irritate me in mid to high level 3e-3.5e play that Dispel Magic was the go-to battle spell.

Players spend way too long prepping before a fight. Get into fight. Dispel Magic gets cast immediately, takes forever to adjudicate, and much of the pre-fight prep is eradicated.

The players are doing absolutely everything they can to make sure they are as prepared as possible to face the villain. Rushing in recklessly is the opposite of how they play. But the problem still remains that the villain is very intelligent, very powerful, never leaves a very well defended lair, and time is of the essence.

And the longer players spend preparing the stronger the villain gets and the closer to world domination.

That is why I think you should escalate the threat the longer the players delay.

jasper

Rotten DM
Hmm Next time the heroes rest just outside the villains door, have the villain's granny show up serving chicken soup, cookies/biscuits, and tea. Make sure she asks if they have on clean underware. Needless to say, the din din is a three part poison.
Or have the villains mom show up sharing baby pictures of the villain.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases