Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder Second Edition: I hear it's bad - Why Bad, How Bad?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I disliked D&D Next. I never even tried the Next Adventures (Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle?) I didn't like HotDQ when it came out. For me, it didn't start to click until Lost Mines of Phandelver.

All I can say is that I didn't like the Pathfinder 2E Playtest. I want more information before making a decision about purchasing the full rules. I'm at a "soft pass" currently.

I think you I just agreed with me. In 5 years time you’ll barely remember this playtest.

Retreater

Legend
I think you I just agreed with me. In 5 years time you’ll barely remember this playtest.

Well yeah. My comments have just been on "current state of things." I'm not excited enough to rush out and purchase day one, so I'm currently passing until I get more information.

And I hope to put that Playtest behind me. Not a great experience. Haha.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
For me, it didn't start to click until Lost Mines of Phandelver.

Honestly, while I might be checking in on the Pathfinder 2e news and flipping through the books when I see them, I doubt that even with major positive reviews I'll be jumping on board until a new Beginner Box comes out for it. There's just something about a good intro product to get me on board for a system even though I've been gaming for almost 40 years (good Lord that can't be right, can it? Yes, yes it is...) And I've quite liked both of Paizo's Beginner Boxes (Pathfinder and Starfinder).

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
This seems pointless. The product isn't even out yet. Most of us have only the playtest material to go on, which Paizo has suggested was radically different from the final product. Anyone with any real substantial exposure and experience with the finalized product cannot openly discuss it. But let's go ahead and discuss how terrible it is already not knowing anything except how to speculate wildly and form opinions for everyone else so we won't need to come up with our own ideas. Heavens forbid!

Also, I hear a lot of people actually like it. They're just not usually as vocal or emotional about it. Or bound by NDAs.

Aldarc

Legend
Also, I hear a lot of people actually like it. They're just not usually as vocal or emotional about it. Or bound by NDAs.
Same. I have also heard a number of people who were initially critical of the PF2 playtest who have since become enthusiastic about it either from trying out a more polished version or simply from reading the changes from the playtest that have since been slowly revealed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

zztong

Explorer
I will play PF2. Another person in my Tue/Wed game will bring it back from GenCon and run it. It will get its chance. What I don't know is if we'll stick with it. If the rules are close to the Playtest, I doubt it.

I'd certainly hate to see Paizo suffer for a lowsy playtest. They've been a good company. I have compassion for their staff. But I would point out they did have options with how they conduct the playtest. We got through 6 revisions to the rules in the playtest. The PF2 playtest started with predetermined dates for printing and release. They adopted a schedule that came with the risk of not settling on satisfactory rules by their self-imposed deadline. I can certainly understand if there were business reasons for doing so, and well... they rolled the dice. We'll see if it got enough time to finish baking.

TheWayofPie

Explorer
They released level 1 monk "how to build a character" article yesterday. Got me excited to try it out. Lots of fun character options. I just hope skill feats don't put me to sleep like they did during the playtest.

Nebulous

Legend
I played the final version of PF2 at Origins a couple weeks ago. I have run 5e exclusively for the past 5 years. I ran 3.x extensively back in the day, but I have never played PF 1e and own zero Paizo products except for those wonderful flipmaps. From what I saw of PF2 in the brief 2 hour demo, i DID enjoy it. It was crunchier than 5e, and while I do like 5e I also feel like it has been oversimplified in many ways. I will be picking up the core PF2 and Monster Manual in August, and there's a good chance I will run two campaigns, one 5e, the other PF2.

EDIT - by final version I mean the pre-made characters they gave us. There was no core book to see and we did not get to read rulesets, but we had the GM explain things to us and I think there was a cheat sheet.

Remove ads