Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder Second Edition: I hear it's bad - Why Bad, How Bad?

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Basically thread title = thread topic but I'll clarify a little bit.

So I'm not asking this just to stir up smiley face emojii smiley face emojii smiley face emojii smiley face emojii but it IS a curiosity question for me. I would describe myself as having "settled comfortably" on D&D 5E, it's what everyone in my area knows how to play and it's good enough that I don't see myself going anywhere even were this thread to somehow convince me that PF2E is the proverbial second coming of Gary Gygax.

That said, the general impression I get about Pathfinder 2E...the very much AT A GLANCE impression I get, is that most people don't like PF2E. Esp. Pathfinder fans. I was curious what's wrong with it (or if you like it, I guess what are percveived to be its flaws) and just how bad the problems were.

(Plz be civil with each other.)

DragonBelow

Adventurer
It's not out yet, this is pure speculation. This kind of thread just fuels the misinformation. Give it a go and then give your opinion, or at least get the opinion from folks that have actually used it.

zztong

Explorer
I didn't care for the Playtest rules. I worry my playtest experience has colored my opinion of the yet unreleased Pathfinder 2 rules. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I admit I struggle with that on boards like this, Reddit, and on the Paizo website. I'm sure a friend will bring back a copy of the rules from GenCon and that I'll get a chance to play the final version of PF2. What I cannot predict is how much play it will get.

My biggest complaint with the playtest was character creation. Ultimately, I didn't enjoy making or leveling characters. The process felt like being forced to make a great many pointless choices.

My next biggest complaint was the skill system. They trimmed the skill list down a little too much for me. The DCs were out of whack, though I'm aware they've addressed that. I preferred spending skill points over just getting +1 per level and having to deal with the proficiency system.

The 3-action system was okay. Its easier to learn than PF1's system and it cleans up multiple attacks nicely.

The +10/-10 critical system did nicely with spells, but I didn't care for it with melee.

I don't want to short-change it. Some folks are going to really like it. I just don't think it will be my system of choice when its my turn to run, but it is too soon to tell.

Last edited:

mewzard

Explorer
Well, while we don't have the finished product, what we have seen leading into it makes me think it's a game I could enjoy. Going to have to do a few games with my group, see if we enjoy it more or less than Pathfinder as is.

Hoping it finds that sweet spot between Pathfinder 1st Edition and D&D 5E that I need in my life.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The only people who have seen the game are under NDA.

I liked some aspect of the playtest rules, and didn't like other things. But I knew it was a playtest, not a ruleset, and included exaggerated examples of things and a very specific set of adventures geared towards stress testing.

I'm sure Paizo knew that the playtest process would turn off some people, but would make for a better game, and the overall reaction when it's released will overwhelm that in the same way we all remember the 5E playtest documents in great deal. Which we don't.

TL;DR. It comes out at Gen Con. Wait and see what people say then.

Retreater

Legend
I have only run the Playtest and played in a few demo events at cons, so my experience might be limited. I actually enjoyed the character creation as something different. What I didn't care for was the organization of the Playtest rulebook (which I think can be fixed) and the death and dying mechanics (which might have been clarified). What I truly hated was the three action economy for monsters. As a GM, I could tell that the inflation of actions on monsters made it increasingly lethal. A swarm of goblins with suddenly 3 attacks each (even with worse probability of hitting), is a devastating encounter. This gives every enemy encounter an unfair advantage over the PCs. Sure the PCs get 3 attacks, but they're going to be overwhelmed in no time. Most enemies only need to survive a few turns in a single combat; most characters would like to survive 4-5 encounters in a day.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am curious whether there is a worrisome demographic to this day composed of people who refuse to play D&D 5E because they didn't like the playtest document back in 2014 or whenever it was. I suspect... the playtest document really won't be a thing anybody remembers in a couple of months' time. But hey, I might be wrong. Those 2014 diehard D&D Next playtest doc haters might still be out there harbouring their grudges about a game that never existed!

Retreater

Legend
I am curious whether there is a worrisome demographic to this day composed of people who refuse to play D&D 5E because they didn't like the playtest document back in 2014 or whenever it was. I suspect... the playtest document really won't be a thing anybody remembers in a couple of months' time. But hey, I might be wrong. Those 2014 diehard D&D Next playtest doc haters might still be out there harbouring their grudges about a game that never existed!

I disliked D&D Next. I never even tried the Next Adventures (Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle?) I didn't like HotDQ when it came out. For me, it didn't start to click until Lost Mines of Phandelver.

All I can say is that I didn't like the Pathfinder 2E Playtest. I want more information before making a decision about purchasing the full rules. I'm at a "soft pass" currently.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases