D&D 5E What Does Your Magic Look Like

I am about to try out the new artificer in a friend of mine's game. I'll be using the alchemist archetype, and I fully intend to have all of my magic be cooking and food themed, especially pies. Healing spell? A pie to eat. Blindess? A pie in the enemie's face, etc. My homunculus will be a slime named blueberry, and the idea of the character is that I was a person playing an mmo (he's doing an isekai type campaign) who focused entirely on weird secondary or less useful profession type skills (cooking, fishing, engineering, etc.). I was part of a raiding guild that only put up with me because my food buffs were dang useful and would drop off if I wasnt in the group. I fully intend to run a bakery/tavern in the bottom level of our guild hall for anyone who wishes to visit (it's supposed to be a heavy pvp type raid build for other guilds to try and take over, ala Overlord). I look forward to standing in the fire and being a constant nuisance for our character that is a "vetern min/maxing raid leader". 😂

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I currently play a devotion paladin of Erathis and most of my magic is themed around gears that resemble the holy symbol of Erathis. Shield of faith, bless, aura of vitality all create spectral gears that hover around the target/fill the area of the aura. My favourite however was find steed. The character is from a noble house that uses a stag as it's crest so a stag steed seemed fitting. When I first summoned it I was very excited when the appearance was customized to the faith of Erathis. Snow white fur with golden horns and the horns are shaped to resemble protruding gears. It nicely represents the two primary influences of the character.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am about to try out the new artificer in a friend of mine's game. I'll be using the alchemist archetype, and I fully intend to have all of my magic be cooking and food themed, especially pies. Healing spell? A pie to eat. Blindess? A pie in the enemie's face, etc. My homunculus will be a slime named blueberry, and the idea of the character is that I was a person playing an mmo (he's doing an isekai type campaign) who focused entirely on weird secondary or less useful profession type skills (cooking, fishing, engineering, etc.)

I ran a 3.5 Geomancer (largely inspired by Swamp Thing from the 1990s) that took all the plant-themed Drift mutations. We were leveling up our characters when the campaign imploded. I had planned on taking the Brew Potion feat. Those potions would have been delivered via tubers grown from his body...
Swamp-Thing-V1-20-27-Tpb-2013-03-2013-065.jpg

And later...
st34_002.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have a character built on battle rager vigor his temporary hit points are a blessing of Baccus he is a priest of Baccus. He imbibes a swig after a successful hit his magic looks like he is very drunk. He is also a ritual caster and the form his comrades succor and other rituals ... look like heavy duty parties.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My wife has a Gnomish Hexblade who was a Star Pact Warlock with the short lived feat that granted a Warlock the Hexblade weapon, so she is still defined by the Star Pact lore.

So, when she cas ts vicious mockery, or dissonant whispers, or similar, she is whispering to them the secrets she has learned from the dark patron. “Wanna hear a secret?”

Vael

Legend
My Wizard is in a world where learning Magic is prohibited and he had to learn it in secret. As such, his spellbook is designed to not look like a spellbook, it's all encoded to look like a journal. Random poems, recipes, drawings of places I've been, it's very much a blog.

I'd say my spells look a lot like spellcasting in "The Magicians", precise finger tuts, with minimal glowy and flashy stuff until the spell is cast.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve had a bunch of alternative “spellbooks” in various games. Some were as simple as rune-carved sticks or staves. Others were as unusual as tattoos or even arrays of beads made of various materials arranged and knotted into various patterns.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases