Rewatching 80's Stuff

Ryujin

Legend
Agreed. The 80s is like the uncanny valley when it comes to nostalgia?

I can watch Stark Trek (TOS), and for whatever reason, it feels less dated than TNG.

But TNG is Shakespeare (and more late 80s, 90s) compared to the drek that we had in the 80s. Knight Rider? Air Wolf? Great in theory! Terrible to actually have to watch.

That first is well put. Just slightly.... off.

Past a certain point and the memory of original viewing fades. I remember watching TOS, The Wild, Wild West, Mission Impossible. I can watch them all now without the same issues. I could likely even take Starlost, in small doses, after all this time. 1950s SciFi is even betterfor me. Classics like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and the rare dramatic role for Leslie Nielsen in "Forbidden Planet" (my two all-time favourite SF movies).

I recently watched KickBoxer (Jean-Claude Van Damme) on Netflix...I think that it may be the most 80's movie in existence. Training montage, sad JCVD roaming through the streets being sad...slow-mo action scenes with him making funny faces.

The Running Man comes a close second.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I loved (and still do) all the Glen A Larson American TV action shows of the 80s. A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf... love ‘em all. In that order. Plus theme tunes; that art seems to have been lost, except for Game of Thrones.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm scared to rewatch any of those shows. I used to love Airwolf, I guess it's terrible now.

Movies age better it seems. Wouldn't mind seeing the Quartermann movies again.

Just put on Ghost Busters. No Kickboxer on NZ Netflix.

Last edited:

I watched WarGames a couple of nights ago,and I still enjoy it despite how dated it is, I watched the trailer for Antitrust [video=youtube;I7hhqX1PANU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hhqX1PANU[/video] and I couldn't even finish that because of how poorly it aged.

I did watch the first two seasons of Mission Impossible on prime,so that was good.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases