Simply6 Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG

Simply6 is a fast, light tabletop roleplaying game for 2 or more players which you can play using just six-sided dice. I put this together over the last couple of days in my spare time (based on something I was playing with in the forums a while back) and have uploaded it to DTRPG. It's only about 20-pages long, and will likely be tweaked and updated after I get some feedback.

282161.jpg

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 23.01.02.png

Baumi

Adventurer
- Magic changed from health cost to a countdown pool.

It's awesome to see the fast changes/improvements to the game 8D

I do like the countdown pool more than costing health, but it is way to hard now to use Magic. Even if you give all your starting dice into Magic, you still only have a ~50/50 Chance to casting a spell if you use ALL your dice for the day.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's awesome to see the fast changes/improvements to the game 8D

I do like the countdown pool more than costing health, but it is way to hard now to use Magic. Even if you give all your starting dice into Magic, you still only have a ~50/50 Chance to casting a spell if you use ALL your dice for the day.

50/50 is the chance most people get for most things — it’s the standard difficulty. You have a 50/50 chance to pick a lock, bust down a door, shoot most things, etc.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The other option is to borrow WOIN's countdown mechanic. You cast your spells, but any 6s you roll get removed from the dice pool, until you have no dice left and can no longer cast until it replenishes at dawn.

Another is actually pretty thematic for how magic is often described in fiction: To cast without lots of health loss, the mage needs to spend time gathering mana. This can be an action of some sort, possibly a roll. However, Health can be substituted for mana, meaning that if the mage wants to nova it's possible to substitute Health for gathered mana.

50/50 is the chance most people get for most things — it’s the standard difficulty. You have a 50/50 chance to pick a lock, bust down a door, shoot most things, etc.

I would have (perhaps an advanced rule) where all unattended items have one skill: Universal 3d6 (10). And the GM can decide some items have higher or lower values for this skills. So you might have a Lock that is Universal 5d6 (17) and thus it is harder to pick with thievery, or break with Fighting.

EDIT: The other benefit of a Universal skill for unattended items is it co-insides with, say, using Magic to create a wall of fire. The wall becomes an unattended item whose dice size is the same as the Magic skill used to create it.

Oh, and you said everything is 50/50. But it isn't 10+ on 3d6 is 58/42. If you wanted 50/50 odds, everything would be 3d6 (11).

Baumi

Adventurer

Yes, but you have to spend all your Character-Creation Dice to get those 3d6 and then you also have only one Roll/day and these are spent. Thats harsher then even Old Shool D&D (where you only had one Spell, but this was a extremly potent one and works automatically).

I haven't really addressed equipment yet... in the same way that all attacks do 1 damage, I wouldn't differentiate with armour. Basic equipment would just be part of your character description; the only thing that would need calling out is special items.

So what happens when you don't have your equipment? (I suppose you get -1d6 but your FAQ is missing this.)

Yes, but you have to spend all your Character-Creation Dice to get those 3d6 and then you also have only one Roll/day and these are spent. Thats harsher then even Old Shool D&D (where you only had one Spell, but this was a extremly potent one and works automatically).

You only lose the dice if you roll a 6 on the die. And you don't have to put all 3 dice into magic. Not everyone starts as a trained wizard.

Or maybe your GM will let you have an extra die for an extra disadvantage (that can be bought back later).

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases