D&D General The Evolution of Tieflings in D&D: Interviews with Zeb Cook and Colin McComb

I'd certainly use the PHB entry and the expansions in other products as the basis for the more diverse Tieflings in 5e, I've given a little thought to how one might handle variant abilities. Of course the appearance and origins of the characters are up to the player's personal choice.

It's very useful to hear from Zeb Cook and McComb about Tielfings, but I think Monte Cook's opinions also matters a lot on the subject.

ThePlanarDM

First Post
[FONT=&amp]D&D Planescape creator Zeb Cook and designer Colin McComb graciously answered my questions for the following article about the evolution of Tieflings from 2e to 5e. The article also links to the full text of our interviews, where they share their insight into the race and the design decisions behind developing it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I had a lot of fun researching and writing this article, and was beyond thrilled that these gentlemen took the time to answer my questions. I hope you enjoy.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
I'd note the other Setting that Tieflings were important to was the Forgotten Realms, where they have a very different history from the Nentir Vale or Pkanescape Tieflings. In fact Tieflings might be present in other Settings like Greyhawk, Darksun, and others, but the three Settings Tieflings are important too are Planescape, Nentir Vale and the Forgotten Realms (with Tieflings being tied as much to Dark Gods as Fiends in FR, making them more different then in Nentir Vale with it's more unified Tiefling history of Bale Turath, or Planescape super diverse Tieflings).

Nice article! I missed Planescape back in the day, so much of that early lore is still being backfilled for me.

Of the new races, tieflings are probably my favorite. I really liked the whole Bael Turath implied history of 4e’s setting; my first 4e character was a tiefling, too.

4e and the Bael Turath background is what I see as a low point for Tieflings, it's best just to ignore all that or completely downplay it. I'd advocate go with diverse 2e-era appearances for Tieflings first, variant mechanics as a distant second concern.

Aldarc

Legend
4e and the Bael Turath background is what I see as a low point for Tieflings, it's best just to ignore all that or completely downplay it. I'd advocate go with diverse 2e-era appearances for Tieflings first, variant mechanics as a distant second concern.
To each their own. I found it a great setting story hook that plugged both tieflings and dragonborn into Nentir Vale's past.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
More unfair maligning?

I mean, I can't even be bothered to insult Tieflings. It's too easy- like mocking Druids. Why bother?

Sure, I could say, "Tieflings, when you can't even be bothered to hide your love of Hot Topic," but that would be mean, right?

See, now, why would I hide my love of kitschy pop culture goth-punk?

Fun stuff is fun, man!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases