D&D General The Evolution of Tieflings in D&D: Interviews with Zeb Cook and Colin McComb

I'd certainly use the PHB entry and the expansions in other products as the basis for the more diverse Tieflings in 5e, I've given a little thought to how one might handle variant abilities. Of course the appearance and origins of the characters are up to the player's personal choice.

It's very useful to hear from Zeb Cook and McComb about Tielfings, but I think Monte Cook's opinions also matters a lot on the subject.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I am not a huge fan, but I did have a younger player start playing a tiefling in one of my home games. It has good role play potential, and she does a great job with it. Of course, I run in Greyhawk, so I had to fit them in. I ended up just tying them to Iuz and the Greyhawk wars, which seemed an easy way to explain their lack of history in the setting.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am not a huge fan, but I did have a younger player start playing a tiefling in one of my home games. It has good role play potential, and she does a great job with it. Of course, I run in Greyhawk, so I had to fit them in. I ended up just tying them to Iuz and the Greyhawk wars, which seemed an easy way to explain their lack of history in the setting.

Basically what I would do if I added Tieflings to Greyhawk as Cambions are a thing.

At least it makes sense for the setting.

Aldarc

Legend
I would probably tie them into the fall of the Suel Imperium. Something something Suloise sorcery. Something something Rain of Colorless Fire. Something something Wee Jas and her devil attendants.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Nice article! I definitely prefer the 2e Planescape Tieflings to what they did to them in 4e. :erm: I'm glad some of the 5e supplemental books let us add to the variety of the Tiefling appearances and heritage.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I would probably tie them into the fall of the Suel Imperium. Something something Suloise sorcery. Something something Rain of Colorless Fire. Something something Wee Jas and her devil attendants.

That is sort of how I worked in Dragonborn. They were magically genetically engineered warriors used by the Suel and Bakluni to fight their wars.

Imaro

Legend
This was an interesting read. Yeah count me as another who really didn't like the changes to Tieflings in 4e which I have reverted in my 5e games. 4e's changes just feel stifling compared to the freedom in appearance & origin 2e Tieflings had. They went from being a planar race of outsiders stoked in mystery with near infinite possibility for appearance and origin to just another cookie cutter Prime race from a long fallen kingdom. Not sure why that was considered an improvement and I wish they had reverted them for 5e but it's easy enough to do in my own games.

Imaro

Legend
Considering how popular tieflings became in the 4e & 5e era. I think the change was a success.

Or it might have been that they were (finally) put in the core rulebooks, you know the books that the majority of people playing the game actually buy and use... just saying.

EDIT: And in 5e at least (not sure about 4e) they have already given variants of the monolithic Tieflings that players can choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or it might have been that they were (finally) put in the core rulebooks, you know the books that the majority of people playing the game actually buy and use... just saying.

Druids are in the PHB, and yet they're pretty low on the list of most played classes. PHB status doesn't explain it by itself.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases