D&D 5E Fighting With Style, Fighting Styles as Level 1 subclass choices

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Just to be clear, in one post I advocated for a d4 elemental damage 1/turn. In an entirely separate post I advocated for +INT as a replacement for the perhaps over-powered +LVL option as a bonus for fighter cantrips. At no point did I advocate for 1d4+INT 1/turn. Which I don't hate, but I agree is a little strong compared to dueling.

What I actually liked more was a floating 1d4 to either hit or damage 1/turn because it seemed different enough from dueling to matter.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It would be the worst feat choice ever on a fighter class - A feat restricted to evocation damage cantrips and spells on a fighter class that already gets all the damage scaling via extra attack. It's mostly just empowering said fighter to make use of the cantrips he choose at times instead of weapon attacks - since they scale about as well now. I honestly thought leaving it at cantrip attacks that were equal to his weapon attacks was not good enough and thus the level 1 spell cast.

Anyways, you don't like it and that's what really counts here.
Im not sure that matters. The game isn’t just damage calculations. Gaining 2 extra cantrips and a level 1 spell +a damage bonus I vastly more than any fighting style.

1d4+int is better than dueling for basically the whole game (providing you up int after str). It's at least better up until tier 4 as long as you have 16 int.
Dueling is every attack.

Yeh found exotic class swordsmanship and heirloom weaponry directly from the man who raised him that is so I repeat incredibly not starting at zero. And being a shepherd is not the foundation of his abilities. In 4e he might have had any number of backgrounds for flavor like shepherd (but flavor is all it is exotic birth story is probably more appropriate) Honestly he was more of a archer ranger than anything else at his lower levels.

You read a different series from what I’ve got on my shelves.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Just to be clear, in one post I advocated for a d4 elemental damage 1/turn. In an entirely separate post I advocated for +INT as a replacement for the perhaps over-powered +LVL option as a bonus for fighter cantrips. At no point did I advocate for 1d4+INT 1/turn. Which I don't hate, but I agree is a little strong compared to dueling.

What I actually liked more was a floating 1d4 to either hit or damage 1/turn because it seemed different enough from dueling to matter.

the world doesn't revolve around you ;) you're not the only one in this thread with ideas ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You read a different series from what I’ve got on my shelves.

Born to fullfill a prophecy is another background he has (His palms get brands in the shape of a heron that are the marks of the Dragon Reborn in the prophecies )

He is half Aielman in race.

Definitely archery trained starting out at the very beginning and sword use too
I may be squashing a few things together he got his first Heron marked blade from
Tam (his dad), and he single handedly killed a monster while still in the first book. And he is channelling without training in that so yes he discovered that part (its rather hinted at he does it healing a horse)

You were right he was raised by a farmer THIS kind of farmer.

Tamlin al'Thor is the adoptive father of Rand al'Thor. He lives on a farm in the Westwood near Emond's Field, where he raised Rand from a baby.

He has a thick chest and a lined face. His hair was gray with sprinkles of black at the beginning of 998 NE, but by the middle of 1000 NE, it is completely gray. He is described as being solid in virtually every conceivable way.
He has been shown to be a superbly skilled warrior, both with a sword and perhaps even more so with a bow. He essentially never misses a shot, and his capabilities with a blade were such that even Al'Lan Mandragoran saluted his skill.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Dueling is every attack.

Let's compare

c= chance to hit
Dueling DPR
level 1= 2*c vs 5.5*c
Level 5 = 4*c vs 5.5*[1-(1-c)^2]
Level 11 = 6*c vs 5.5*[1-(1-c)^3]
Level 20 = 8*c vs 5.5*[1-(1-c)^4]

Even at level 20 with 16 int you are doing more damage with your new style as long as your chance to hit is over 65% or under.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Pretty standard for the farmboy turned adventurer, but also why is that a relevant response, and why are you so adamant on this being a debate? I’m kinda not in the mood for any more derailing, man.
his father was a farmer and a heroic class soldier who used the heron marked blade and was known for never missing with a bow. Just saying that many of those in fiction who are pointed out as starting from zero really really weren't.

I would never build them as level 1 - 1e,2e or 5e characters tbh. (less sure about 3e but problaby not there either)

I guess that final is my point.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@Garthanos With respect, I do not care about nitpicking examples of zero to hero narratives. I’m not here to follow every possible rabbit hole of a debate that ever presents itself. Rand is a farmboy, his dad barely trains him, and I’ve read these books 7 times. You aren’t going to badger me into agreeing with you, so just drop it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases