Why do you play games other than D&D?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Inspired by a question somebody asked on Twitter. My response was that every system feels different and provides a different play experience. You can certainly make most any system do anything, but playing Call of Cthulhu with the Mutants & Masterminds rules is going to feel very different to CoC with the CoC rules.

Every game has it's own niche and just needs to serve that niche well.

In the last year I've run: D&D 5E, WOIN, Pathfinder 2E Playtest, Ghostbusters 1980s RPG, Call of Cthuhu. Some for longer than others (Ghostbusters was just a couple of sessions, and we only got halfway through the PF2 playtest because the playtest schedule was so fast). Each of those games feels very different.

So why do you play games other than D&D? What is it that your game of choice does that makes it the best fit for the stories and genres you're playing with?

I consdier DnD a generic game for playing most types of fantasy. I can play modern urban fantasy, star fantasy, classic dnd, romantic fantasy, fairy tale, fantasy Leverage, etc in dnd no problem.

But for some things, it just isn't going to do a great job, and someone built a really rad game specifically dialed in to that specific thing. Like The One Ring. I appreciate the 5e conversion, but I'd rather play The One Ring proper, because it just does a better job of playing like I'm in Middle Earth. There are things that are hard to translate.

Or, I just don't want to play fantasy at all, so I grab a different game so that I'm not building half a game from scratch just to use the 5e engine.

Also a lot of the games out there are fricken gorgeous!

ccs

41st lv DM
It's honestly a really short answer: Variety.

Right now though, RPG-wise, I'm kinda stuck in a rut of 5e & PF. (so 2 flavors of D&D). It's an enjoyable rut, but a rut none the less.....
And on the miniature wargaming front it's virtually all WWII.
So guess what's not at all on my schedule for GenCon in a few weeks?

On the popularity and default state of D&D ...

I think people tend to overstate the dominance of D&D -- not that it isn't the biggest player by far, but it seems common to assume that most games are D&D. Even at "Peak d20" this was not the case -- here's the list of events from GenCon 2003 (events counts only, I could not get details on the players allowed per event). I'm not sure that even if we assume some of the living events had huge numbers of players, that even then half the people were playing a d20 game.

So dominant in terms of "no close competitor", but not dominant in terms of "more of this than everything else".
(determination as to which events were d20 does by me using name, rules version and genre. Not evenly slightly guaranteed to be accurate, but I hope errors roughly balance either way ...)

GameEvent Count
*** ALL D20 ***368
BESM d2019
D&D2
D&D - Living City12
D&D - Living Greyhawk21
D&D - Living KoK10
d2017
D20 Modern5
d20 System3
d20 System - Living Arcanis8
d20 System - Living Death7
d20 System - Living Dragonstar5
d20 System - Living Jungle7
d20 System - Living Spycraft5
d20 System -- Living Arcanis1
d20 System -- Living Death2
d20 System -- Living Jungle1
Dungeon & Dragons59
Dungeons & Dragons126
HackMaster4
HeartQuest D203
Home Rules - d203
Mutants & Masterminds6
Mutants and Masterminds2
Mutants and Masterminds (d20)/Modern (d20)1
Star Wars - Living Force8
Star Wars -- Living Force5
Star Wars d204
Swashbuckling Adventures (D20)6
TBA16
*** ALL Others ***833
7th Sea24
7th Sea Roll & Keep1
Aberrant1
AD&D6
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons17
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st Ed)10
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Ed)13
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Ed)9
Advanced Marvel Comics RPG1
AFMBE/Unisystem13
Amber Diceless RPG2
Ancient Lands RPG4
Anything's Possible - The Game2
Anythings Possible The Game6
Arcana Unearthed6
Arcane2
Asylum1
Big Eyes, Small Mouth11
Blue Planet3
Buffy1
Buffy The Vampire Slayer3
Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG3
Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG (Eden Studios)1
Call of Cthulhu53
Call of Cthulhu (1920s)4
Call of Cthulhu, 1890s1
Call of Cthulu2
Cartoon Action Hour6
Champions11
Changeling1
Changeling the Dreaming1
Changeling: The Dreaming2
CHILL4
Chosen1
Cinematic Unisystem5
Cinematic Unisystem/Angel24
Cinematic Unisystem/Buffy18
Conspiracy X3
Courting Murder6
Cyberpunk 20201
Dark Ages: Inquisitor1
Dark Ages: Mage1
Dark Ages: Vampire1
Deadlands2
Demon: The Fallen2
Doom City1
Dragonquest29
DragonStorm29
Dread4
Dungeons & Dragons12
Earthdawn2
Everquest RPG2
Everway4
Exalted4
Farscape d201
Farscape RPG7
Feng Shui1
Fight the Evil Power6
Forbidden Kingdoms2
Four Colors al Fresco3
Fudge10
FVLMINATA1
G.U.R.P.S1
G.U.R.P.S.6
GURPS Supers (Golden Age)1
GURPS Supers (Silver Age)1
GURPS Supers (Victorian Age)2
GURPS: Technomancer2
Hero5
HERO (Champions)2
Hero Clix2
Hero System69
HiBrid4
Hunter: Reckoning3
Immortal2
IronClaw2
Jovian Cronicles2
Justice Inc.3
Kayfabe2
L5R RPG6
Legend Quest1
Little Fears3
LOTR:RPG12
Mage: the Sorcerors Crusade (White Wolf)1
Marvel SAGA1
Matrix Game12
Now Playing6
octaNe1
Ogalepihcra/Fudge1
Ogalepihcra/TBD1
Over the Edge1
Palladium1
Paranoia6
PlayThings System4
Revelation4
Rifts: Southern Brigade3
Savage Worlds22
Shadow Hack1
Shadowrun23
Shadowrun - Virtual Seattle4
So Ya Wanna Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star!4
Spacemaster1
Spookshow1
Spycraft10
ST:RPG10
Star Wars (TSR)11
Star Wars (West End)56
Starchildren3
Super Human High School5
Tech Noir2
The Secret of Zir'An2
Traveller T203
Tribes1
Unisystem21
Unisystem/Armageddon3
Unisystem/WitchCraft/AFMBE1
Unknown Armies2
Villains and Vigilantes2
Violence1
War Machine1
Weird Wars II1
West End Star Wars2
Wheel of Time1
When Darkness Comes&3
White Wolf24
White Wolf Storyteller System4
World of Darkness1
World of Darkness Crossover1
Wraith the Obilivion: The Gear War1
Wyn D mere2
X-crawl1
Xcrawl: Adventures in the Xtreme Dungeon Crawl League4
ZERTZ1
(blank)12
Grand Total1201

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even at "Peak d20" this was not the case -- here's the list of events from GenCon 2003

What makes you think that GenCon is a representative sample of gamers, or the games they play on a regular basis?

Since GenCon is a very particular experience that requires a notable effort and investment of time and money to have, and is had only by a small part of the overall RPG community, I would not expect the selection of games there to be representative of what the broader community plays.

Why do I play other games than Fate and D&D?
(I'll explain why I modified the question lower down)

These two systems are go-to systems for me. If I think of a game I'd like to play, my first thought is "is it fantasy?" and if so, I default to D&D (actually 13th Age, but I'm calling that D&D for th purposes of this discussion). If it isn't, I default to Fate. The reason is that they can do what the standard genre tropes call for pretty well. D&D can cope with outrageously stereotypical Scottish dwarves, with Elric of Melnibone, with mad-science-built robots, with demons and magic, with Kender, with an evil inquisition, with a good inquisition, with Monty-Pythonesque inquisition. And the truly insane part is -- it can have them play not only with the same set of rules, but in the same campaign!

D&D is accepting of different styles and players in a way that few -- make even any -- other systems are. That's why 5E took a step away from 4E's much more focused play style and is more popular; it moved back to its traditional role as being highly adaptable and allowing a huge variety of anything fitting the genre of "fantasy". And that's a big segment of that players want to play.

Fate is my personal go-top game for, well, pretty much everything else. It also has a very broad set of assumptions and works well for a variety of styles of play. Unlike D&D though, it's not as good at mixing them within the same campaign. It's not as easy to mix and merge styles together. But still, it's a go-to choice.

So why so I play other games? For me, it is because another game hits a niche that I'd like to play. Modern day horror, for example. I could run it with Fate, but a modern-day horror-focused game will likely feel better for that niche; more evocative, more immersive. Or sometimes a game defines a niche -- Toon or Paranoia are good examples. A game can define a niche and then I play it because I want to play in that niche.

I added Fate to the OP's question, because the obvious answer is "I want to play something non-fantasy". It's that, true -- but there's more reason than just that, making it a go-to game for many.

D&D offers clear fun rules for a specific setting. It's the generic fantasy setting.

I play other games because, imho, mechanics intrinsically link to the setting's feel. And D&D offers a specific feel. It does not mold itself well to say, Hyboria or The Witcher or Middle Earth. Those worlds have different feels; gritty, deadly, and limited magic respectively. Those things are hard to accomplish when you have creatures that house a lot of hp, when you have death saves, or books upon books with spells players can use.

But for fantastical story telling that still satiates the rule geek and optimization player, D&D is hard to beat.

What makes you think that GenCon is a representative sample of gamers, or the games they play on a regular basis?

Since GenCon is a very particular experience that requires a notable effort and investment of time and money to have, and is had only by a small part of the overall RPG community, I would not expect the selection of games there to be representative of what the broader community plays.

If you have another source of information, feel free to offer it!

I am a little curious why you expect people with less money to being significantly different in their playing habits from those with disposable income. Is there some reason you feel that rich people are more likely to play non-D&D games, and poor people are more likely to play D&D? Looking at prices of games from the time and now, it's not like it's a significantly different different buy-in cost, so it seems you are suggesting an innate correlation between wealth and liking D&D.

I'm going to challenge that assumption, based on anecdotal evidence. In fact, anecdotally, the people buying dwarven forge and flat screen TVs and blinged out gaming equipment that I know of seem to do so more for D&D than for for, say, Fate. But again, this is anecdotal. So I'll stick with the assumption that wealth has at best a weak correlation with roleplaying game preferences. But if anyone has some better metrics (outside of WOTC who I assume has all the metrics, but little incentive to share), I'd love to hear them, being a statistics sort of guy.

EDIT: The "games people typically play" comment seems more plausible. Anecdotally, I know people often go to cons to try new things, so new games, or unusual ones may be over-represented due to that factor. But, also anecdotally, people who's main home game is D&D do seem to play mostly or exclusively D&D at cons, so although it's more plausible, I'm not sure it will be enough of a factor to serious skew conclusions.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases