D&D 5E Monk Tortle

SovietDM

Explorer
I'm making a Monk Tortle, and two skills contradict each other. Tortles have the skill natural armor, giving them a base AC of 17, they can't wear armor, and you don't add the DEX Mod. Monks have the skill Unarmored Defense, giving them an AC equal to 10+ DEX Mod + WIS Mod. What do I do?

jgsugden

Legend
RAW, they do not stack. You get one or the other.

However, I'd tell the DM that under RAW, they do not stack and you're fine with that if he wants to play it that way, but you were wondering if he'd be ok giving you a +1 to AC over the better option in recognition that you're missing out on one of the key benefits of the race/class, or if there is something else he'd like to give you to offset the loss. It does not hurt to ask.

As a DM, when one PC ability is invalidated by something, I tend to 'compensate' for it.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
RAW, they do not stack. You get one or the other.

However, I'd tell the DM that under RAW, they do not stack and you're fine with that if he wants to play it that way, but you were wondering if he'd be ok giving you a +1 to AC over the better option in recognition that you're missing out on one of the key benefits of the race/class, or if there is something else he'd like to give you to offset the loss. It does not hurt to ask.

As a DM, when one PC ability is invalidated by something, I tend to 'compensate' for it.

Just my two bits, but if I were the DM, I would say no and counter with the fact that you are bypassing one of the main limitations of the monk class, that it can't wear armor :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just my two bits, but if I were the DM, I would say no and counter with the fact that you are bypassing one of the main limitations of the monk class, that it can't wear armor :)

Agreed. Especially if you are using the Tortle +2 STR and going STR Monk - something you can do just fine if you don't need DEX for armor.

jgsugden

Legend
No armor is a feature, not a limitation, of the monk. They have offsetting abilities.

Regardless, you're discouraging the Tortle as a reasonable choice for race for any player that is concerned, at all, with efficiency with the RAW. When a primary benefit of the race overlaps with a primary benefit of your class, you're unlikely to take it. If you'd like people to feel like it is a reasonable choice, they need somthing to replace the 'overlapping' benefit.

No armor is a feature, not a limitation, of the monk. They have offsetting abilities.

Regardless, you're discouraging the Tortle as a reasonable choice for race for any player that is concerned, at all, with efficiency with the RAW. When a primary benefit of the race overlaps with a primary benefit of your class, you're unlikely to take it. If you'd like people to feel like it is a reasonable choice, they need somthing to replace the 'overlapping' benefit.

As a counterpoint, I would submit that there are very few monks, let alone most classes that don’t have chain mail and shield, that start at level 1 with a 17+ armor class. They start off high and can only get higher if they choose to invest in DEX and WIS at ASI time. Otherwise, Tortle Monks gain the flexibility to choose more feats than their AC maximizing non-Tortle monk brothers and sisters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases