D&D 5E Useful City Gear

What's some useful gear to have on a city adventure. My character is a 5'4" kid with 8 strength so can't be loaded down with food, sleeping stuff, etc. She's also a warlock with 19 CHA, Mask of Many Faces, and the Actor feat, so food won't be too hard to get.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd recommend lock picks over the full thieve's tools if that's your thing and weight is an issue. Rope is good, but you'll need silk over hemp and only when you think you'll need it. Other than that it depends on your skills and background. If you have some forgery skill to go along with the above skill set then some props for that would be excellent. In a more general way I can find a hundred and one uses for chalk and string.

Dausuul

Legend
Rope. Always carry a coil of rope. Even on an urban adventure, rope is invaluable for climbing up buildings, tying up prisoners, rigging traps, and all kinds of other improvised uses. In the immortal words of Sam Gamgee, "You'll want it, if you haven't got it."

A knife is also highly recommended. You may never use it in combat, but it's immensely useful in all manner of noncombat situations.

Do you have a way to see in the dark (darkvision, the Devil's Sight invocation, a light-producing cantrip)? If not, a light source is essential.

If you have proficiency with thieves' tools, it's a good idea to carry a set.

And, of course, if you don't already have an arcane focus, you should get one. Keeping track of minor components is a pain.

Those are the main things I would make sure to have. Also, consider paper, ink, and pen, so you can write letters and messages; and caltrops, which can be thrown in front of a door to create a nasty little surprise for anyone coming through.

Draegn

Explorer
A bottle of liquor for the drunks in the back alley behind your favorite bar. "She's a good girl officer, she has been here all night keeping us company".

Remove ads