D&D 3E/3.5 Countdown to Fourth Edition

I was puttering around the old 3e D&D archives when I came across this:

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20010401a

It’s an April Fools joke from 2001. What I find amusing is that it overshot 4e’s arrival time by about three years. What I find interesting is that they joke about a “revolutionary d30 system,” but 4e, when it arrived, was indeed a dramatic departure from the past.

In any case, if you have the time and inclination, there’s all sorts of interesting stuff (and a trip down memory lane) to be found in the archive.wizards site.

Zardnaar

Legend
4E was functionally out if print by 2011. Still combine that with the start of the 4E phb about the next decade it seems the assumption is 10 years for a D&D edition.

Spitting out 3 editions in 7 or 8 years doesn't work as they did 3 editions of Star Wars as well.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I can't wait for 10e, when there will only be Gnomes, Paladins, and Rapiers, nothing else.

Last edited:

I remember reading an article about 5e or Next rather. In the article it said (or at least how I interpreted it) that you could potentially make a character from any edition and be able to play at a 5e table. It made sense to me at the time cause they had just rereleased 1e, 2e, and 3e core books. I always thought that was an interesting concept. I was perplexed however how it could actually work in practice.

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember reading an article about 5e or Next rather. In the article it said (or at least how I interpreted it) that you could potentially make a character from any edition and be able to play at a 5e table. It made sense to me at the time cause they had just rereleased 1e, 2e, and 3e core books. I always thought that was an interesting concept. I was perplexed however how it could actually work in practice.

I think people took it to literally.

A AD&D Druid is a land Druid, the Battlemaster is a 4E concept, a thief is your AD&D one etc.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It might not be what hardcore 4E players want but concept wise it's not really any other edition. It's only 1/3rd warlord.
If might be seen to derive from the Book of Nine Swords classes (Swordsage etc) the maneuver sharing was more complete in that ... the most magical ones maneuvers were directly swappable with other maneuvers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases