OSR OSR ... Feel the Love! Why People Like The Old School

Yardiff

Adventurer
B/X didn't have weapon proficiency. Although BECMI and AD&D I believe did.

I like my fighters to be good at all weapons. I generally follow a rule put in place by another retro-clone, where I just give fighters a damage bonus (to melee and missile) that scales by level. It's simple tweak and it doesn't shoehorn a character into a specific weapon.

Personally I hate fighters, especially low level fighters, knowing all weapons. It should take lots of time to learn the use of 40+ weapons, even when some weapons for very similar. This is why I liked 1e's weapon proficiencies and really disliked the 'newer' martial, simple, etc weapon groups. .

Of course this is just my opinion.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
B/X D&D as a wonderfully tuned focused sandbox dungeon crawling game that provides clear guidance on how to play is one of the better designed role playing games ever made. It does what it does very well. It's character options are remarkably well balanced (better than any edition barring 4e). I say this as someone who did not have the joy of playing or running B/X until the 4e era. My opinions on AD&D are less favorable.

Beyond that the OSR has delivered two remarkable sandbox games built off of B/X that I dearly love: Stars Without Number and Godbound

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sarcosanct you did a good job with Felk More, printed it out and got it bound up.

Thank you for the kind words. I definitely wanted to go with a heavy OSR and 80s pop culture theme lol. Lots of lessons learned though, as it was written during the playtest in 2013-14, and then hurriedly updated in 2016, so some things may be a bit outdated on a pure 5e context.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thank you for the kind words. I definitely wanted to go with a heavy OSR and 80s pop culture theme lol. Lots of lessons learned though, as it was written during the playtest in 2013-14, and then hurriedly updated in 2016, so some things may be a bit outdated on a pure 5e context.

Yeah you big boss is a bit on the east side.

Still about ten times better than what I can put together, I don't have the desktop publishing skills.

Haven't got around to running it as megadungeons don't seem to be to popular these days.
I didn't realise you put it together until after I bought it and saw it in your signature.

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't care if people don't like OSR games. I play 5E as that's what everyone plays. Happy the play OSR and would sign up.

Not going to stand on a soapbox and claim it's the greatest thing ever. Don't like it that's fine don't play. My D&D KGB aren't going to turn put a gun to your head and drag you off to the OSR gulag and make you play.

It's not for everyone and that's fine.

That should so be a faction/place in a less-than-serious game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases