D&D 5E Playing a "Failed" Bladesinger: College of Valor or Swords

Stalker0

Legend
I'm trying out a concept. A half-elf who failed to become a blade singer. Ostracized from his community, he eventually became a solider and eventually a squad leader. So I'm playing a frontline fighter with a lot of skills, some inspirational benefits to his groups, and some magics to include in his swordplay. I'm going as a broad generalist, so 16 cha and 16 dex, with a 12 con.

I've decided on bard for the concept (I completely understand if people think other classes would do the concept better, but I'm set on the bard for now). My feat is going to be inspiring leader (both for the team leading concept but also just to gives myself some needed extra hitpoints).

The character starts at 6th level. So I'm going back and forth between valor bard and college of swords bard.

I like the offense of CoS. The blade flourishes seem "blade singery", and I can take dueling for more pain.

The valor bard gives me shield proficiency, which is a big deal to me. This guy is already going to be lacking in HP compared to a fighter, so every bit helps. Further valor gives me longbow proficiency for when I need to go long distance, and gives more "team oriented" buffs. If I went this route, the shield would be flavored as a "failure"...he uses it because he wasn't good enough at blade singing to fight without it. So its a crutch so to speak.

I think I would like the swords bard more (its a bit more selfish of a class, which I generally play more of) but the lack of base AC really concerns me for his ability to stay in the fight.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with the various subclasses that could offer insight?

Last edited:

Esker

Hero
The lack of shield proficiency is rough for a sword bard, but at level 6 you should have enough inspiration dice to use defensive flourish most rounds, so your AC will for the most part be higher than it would be as a valor bard with a shield. Valor bards aren't very effective with weapons, so if that's a big part of your concept, I'd go swords.

You could always take a fighter or hexblade level to get shields and longbow (hexblade also gives the shield spell, the ability to use CHA for attacks (and a short rest recharging spell slot to power your shield); fighter gives you defense fighting style and a bonus action self-heal). If using a shield, be aware that, RAW, your weapon-as-focus doesn't allow you to cast spells with a somatic but no material component without a free hand.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I really like the basic concept, it's a good idea.

For a more "rough" version, you could take eldritch knight with the entertainer background - someone who's failed both the bladesinger *and* the bardic college :D

Last edited:

Remove ads