Pathfinder 2E Are you moving from 5E to PF2?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'll be checking out PF2 but it will be with my regular Sunday Pathfinder group. I don't anticipate playing it with my Thursday Night group since we all like 5e.

While I like Pathfinder for what it is and how it has modified the D&D rules, a major reason I switched to it was because WotC had made a D&D edition that I did not like to play, nor did most of my friends. The Sunday Pathfinder group rejected it outright as useless and was happy to go right to Pathfinder after finishing the Shackled City AP in D&D 3.5, the Thursday Night group tried 4e for about 9 months before ultimately rejecting it but preferred to go back to 3.5 rather than make the lateral shift to PF.

As things stand now, the only D&D version the Thursday Night group plays is D&D5 and I don't see PF2 making any in-roads into that. It's the Sunday Pathfinder group that'll be the big question - I think we're pretty content with PF1 but since I GM it most of the time, I get really tired with some of the fiddly classes and options. PF2 might iron some of that out for a while. But then so would D&D5, so that's always a possibility too.

zztong

Explorer
I know a friend will bring PF2 back from GenCon and I'm pretty sure we'll try it. We were a PF1 game until the PF2 playtest. After the PF2 playtest, and a couple of post-playtest PF2 adventures, we've been testing the waters with 5e and played several sessions. I've no idea where that game will end up long term.

I don't look at PF2 as "advanced mainstream fantasy RPG." I don't see it as being any more or less advanced than any other fantasy RPG, but just a different collection of rules that may, or may not, fit the intended story better.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I been mainly playing 5e and Savage Worlds since 5e released. I will definitely try Pathfinder 2 but that doesn’t mean I will abandon 5e or Savage Worlds. I think they offer different experiences.

Nebulous

Legend
I never played PF1, but I'm currently running 5e, and will probably add PF2 as a secondary game. Whether I will ultimately stick with one or the other is too early to tell. I'm a little tired of the simplicity of 5e, but I'm hoping PF2 doesn't go overly complex.

Colder

Explorer
I'm planning on giving PF2 a shot. I really like what I'm seeing with it. Maybe I can figure out a way to get the group I DM for to give it a shot.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
In other circumstances I would have pre-ordered already. I kind of need an alternative where character building is less cumbersome and fiddly than PF, but I want a little more that what 5e gives. I want to like PF2, but I need to see the finalized rules before committing to it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, I'm waiting to see a Beginner Box. The Starfinder Beginner Box is about the maximal level of crunch I can handle in my new games these days. And even then I won't move from 5e to PF2, but I might introduce some of the older kids I'm teaching 5e to to PF2 as an alternative or a second game that they can run amongst themselves. I may no longer be at a point in my life where I want that level of crunch in my rules, but they are hitting those prime teenage years where I had the time and energy to both play the games I wanted to and fiddle with a variety of systems.

We played a Beginner Box demo of Starfinder at Origins this year and they were really into it. If we add that to our repertoire of games over the next few months, checking out a PF2 Beginner Box when it drops would be the next step.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases