What it's like Reading SF from the 50's

Hussar

Legend
Just a bit of a tweak to the nose. :D

1563110636-20190714.png

from http://smbc-comics.com/comic/golden-age

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Eh, try reading back issues of Galaxy magazine, which was the premiere Sci-Fi mag of the 1950s (available from the Internet Archive), which featured authors like Asimov, Vance, Heinlein, Pohl, Simak, Sheckley, Silverberg, Blish, Sturgeon, etc. I won't say it was immune to that sort of thing, but it was often surprisingly sophisticated

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure I'd include Heinlein as being "sophisticated". At least as far as gender issues go. Funny thing is, if you click the link, there's a big red button for an additional thought to the comic:

156311075620190714after.png

Kinda funny.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a big collection of early sci-fi, much passed down from my Dad. IME, there’s a decent grain of truth in the comic, enough that I find the barb amusing. But there WERE also many authors who were clearly more progressive than the era in which the lived.

Dioltach

Legend
Early Heinlein is more sophisticated in this respect than some of his later stuff. Tunnel in the Sky for example. A lot of his later stuff feels like "a man's fantasy of emancipated women".

(Or maybe just "a man's fantasy".)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In all seriousness, I was just reading a story last night that refered to a female-presenting android as a gynoid. And it looks like that's a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynoid

Yep. Seen it many times, but it never seemed to stick. Just like “man” became a synonym for humanity, the male-rooted “Android” became the term for human-stimulant artificial life. Nobody seemed to care for a female-rooted version of the term.

MarkB

Legend
Yep. Seen it many times, but it never seemed to stick. Just like “man” became a synonym for humanity, the male-rooted “Android” became the term for human-stimulant artificial life. Nobody seemed to care for a female-rooted version of the term.

And I've yet to see an example of the non-binary androgynoid.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases