D&D General Does Your Fantasy Race Really Matter In Game? (The Gnome Problem)

I like gnomes, but this is definitely a problem. There’s such a palimpsest of identities to the gnome that it can be hard to say what a gnome actually is.

As to race mattering in my campaigns, I think much of that falls to the player. Is the player really into their dwarven identity or is it just a collection of bonuses and abilities to them? My players definitely impact my DMing style, and I react to what they’re putting out.

In most of my worldbuilding, I tend not to restrict what people can play. I have very few ideas that I can justify restricting people’s choices for. My cool homebrew idea will be fine if I allow goliaths in it, even if I didn’t originally plan for such.

Are they shorter dwarves that specialize in engineering? Halflings who live in the woods and do illusion magic? Both? Neither? D&D couldn’t seem to make up its mind about what the heck Gnomes were supposed to be, so I did it myself. Now I like them, but they’re not really any of the many disparate things D&D calls “gnomes.”

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I am surprised that it is the Gnome that is the OP has trouble with.

To me, it seems like it is the Halfling that is lacking any identity. Sure, Gnomes have a somewhat confused identity split between being techies and hippies, but at least there is something to say about them.

But Halflings? Basically just humans who don't grow to full height. You go back to Tolkien and it seems like they were stand-ins for the simple, rural country folk of the British Isles-- and he made them small in stature as well as in status. But in D&D, such people are just common humans-- and anything else that has attempted to slip into the Halfling identity has pretty much fallen flat. All their racial traits and such are simply based on the idea of "a human, but smaller-- so what might someone be able to do if they were smaller?" But it isn't as if the Halflings have a monopoly on being small size and thus get racial abilities that seem like they should just be general rules of the game such as "you can hide behind a creature twice as big as you" or "you can run between the legs of something twice as tall as you"

None of that speaks to anything particularly unique or iconic or interesting for them. So while the Gnome identities might contain some level of contradiction, at least there are some iconic Gnomish traits and concepts to play with. Even if it boils down to being scientists, talking to animals, using illusions and wearing pointy hats. It is a lot more than what the Halfling has going on.

But, that aside, sure... there gets to be a point where one needs to ask "do I really have to have everything in my game?"

Do I have to have Aasimar, Tieflings, Aarakocra, Goliath, Dragonborn, Genasi, Kenku, Grung, Bullywogs, Tabaxi, Triton, Gith, Shifter, Warforged, Kender, Minotaurs, Changelings, Firbolgs, Eladrin, Deva, Shardmind, Kalashtir, Thri-kreen, Hamadryad, Pixie, Satyr, Revenant, Shadar-Kai, Shade, Vryloka, Bladelings, Hengeyokai, Jerren, Vasharan, Korobokuru, Nezumi, Spirit Folk, Vanara, Synad, Illuman, Mongrelfolk, Sharakim, Centaur, Raptorian, Killoren, etc., etc.

Apparently everything that anyone has ever thought up and stuffed into any published D&D book needs to be a common, recognized, regular sight and occurrence within every world that the system is ever used to represent?

Honestly-- that just seems crazy. A world is going to be as much defined by what is not there by what is.

That being said, I am a big advocate of what D&D has thus far completely failed to do.

If there is a sentient, true-breeding race that generally pops up as villains within the setting and that race has lived in that setting for more than 100 years, then there should be a properly made, properly balanced racial stat block for playing that usually villainous race. And, no, not "Half-"-- just an outcast or exile or traitor or imprisoned and reformed or adopted and raised member of that raise.

And, no, giving them intentionally crap stat block that puts them half a level to an entire level behind the rest of the entire party does not count as a "properly made, properly balanced" racial stat block. Nor does making them a few traits short and then making up for that by giving them a super broken ability that violated the core design principles of the game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You're right, they don't really add anything, and you're also right that the only reason they exist is tradition, going all the way back to OD&D (1974). And the reason they were in OD&D is simple - Tolkien.
Heh. Who can forget those iconic gnome characters in LotR…?

What were their names again?

In what way? ... I'm starting to think that the most important facet about race in D&D is how it shapes the perception a player has for their character. Which actually carries a lot of weight with me.
That's probably a big part of it, yes. Any race other than human can tend to fall into racial stereotypes, the character becomes about the race (either conforming to or challenging stereotypes), rather than about the character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Obviously there were mechanical reasons to chose one race over another for attribute bonuses, special abilities, and access to kits or prestige classes but what difference did it make in the campaign? Would there be a noticeable difference in the campaign had your human Fighter been a goliath, an elf, or a dragonborn? At the risk of sounding presumptuous I'll bet the answer is probably no.

It matters to my play experience. It probably impacts the choices I make in play. So, by that measure, it makes a difference in the campaign.

Also, as a GM, I take the player choices to be indicative of things they want to see. If you play a gnome, we're probably going to see a lot more gnome culture and social role in the game than if nobody chose to play a gnome. That probably means there will be plot differences, as well, since to see that culture you're probably going to have to go to parts of the world where that culture is present...

And, in most of my games, if the player wants it I give them a lot of leeway in building the culture of their race. If you are the one player to play a half-orc, you get a lot of say in what being a half-orc actually means, and that changes the character's interaction with the world.

I feel that Halflings have less of an identity than Gnomes in D&D. The only thing they have going for them was that they were there at the start and named Hobbits, before the Tolkien estate stepped in and brought up trademark concerns that forced them to become Halflings. The only setting where they're actually interesting is Dark Sun, and that's quite a departure from the standard Halflings.

Some people feel that Gnomes might be an antisemitic caricature, so they have that thing going against them. But there's certainly been attempts to move away from that stereotype.

Doug McCrae

Legend
You go back to Tolkien and it seems like they were stand-ins for the simple, rural country folk of the British Isles-- and he made them small in stature as well as in status.
Yes, and they also represent children. The Hobbit is a child's fairy tale, in the tradition of Alice in Wonderland, The Princess and the Goblin, and The Marvellous Land of Snergs, which all have child protagonists. Bilbo is short so children can identify with him.

Tony Vargas

Legend
in some of Tolkien's earlier drafts, the Noldor were referred to as gnomes. Galadriel was of the Noldor, ergo...
Let's take it to the Pedantic complaints thread, and get you some XP to go with that laugh. ;)

Hey, and that explains why Gimli was so into her. Well, makes it at tad less creepy.

Edit: wrong thread...
...cross-posting...
(please don't take it the wrong way)

Last edited:

oreofox

Explorer
Personally, yes the race matters. However, in many games I have played in, it doesn't really seem to matter to the DM. Right now I am playing a gnoll paladin/barbarian/warlock (backstory reasons), who uses "mask of many faces" to appear as a dwarf (she was raised by a dwarf paladin) even though she appears 6.5 feet tall. When I first joined in (came in when everyone was level 7), the DM had some NPCs react to such a tall dwarf, and when taking damage in combat she rages (which I have remove the disguise), there's been a couple reactions from opponents. But now? Nothing. I might as well just be playing a human.

As for the comment about gnomes: In my setting, gnomes are changed. They started as the offspring of humans and water fey creatures, breeding true, and having the typical illusionist trickster faerie schtick common in default D&D for the past few decades. I got tired of that, so they changed over the centuries. They were nearly wiped out because of their more happy-go-lucky attitude, but one of their own helped rally them and saved them from extinction. This gnome ascended into deity status, and became the new God of War for the setting. The mortal gnomes renounced their trickster faerie heritage and, with the blessings of their new god, fundamentally changed. They are now a mix of the Spartans from the 300 movie, mixed with steampunk tinkerer artificer types. As a whole, they worship their war god, with a traditional reverence for their elemental goddess of water. Gnomes live in a water-logged nation where it rains perpetually, and have a higher percentage of water genasi than any other race (planetouched, including tieflings and aasimar, can be from any race).

Halflings, as mentioned earlier, I didn't really know where to put them amongst the other races (having 3 small races in goblins, gnomes, and ratfolk), so I killed them off, though they existed once. They used to be nomads on my world's area known as the Plains of Everlight (a flat expanse where the world is lit up as if it was day 24/7 [or 24/8 in my world] due to the bleed over from my setting's Plane of Light), and live on in the planetouched of Light. But other than that, I just couldn't figure anything out that wasn't stepping on toes, which is a pretty BS reason as I am sure one of my multitude of other races (which I have many) probably step on another race's toes, but I just never really liked halflings as a whole.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases