D&D 5E How do you keep track of spells for multiple NPCs?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm running a game at a high level and in the next session there's a chance that a variety of mid-to-high level drow casters might be running around each with a different set of spell combinations. I find this to be a challenge on two fronts:

1) Simply remembering what each spell does and its limitations (we're talking about 40 spells that could be cast)
2) Tracking which slots for each NPC caster have been used up as the encounter(s) progress.

This is generally fine when I'm running a single caster but when there are more than one? The set of spells to reference and gets quickly out of hand!

Anyone have any tips for smoothly managing this in the heat of battle?

aco175

Legend
I use the monster stat blocks that I print out for encounters. I just place a dot next to the spell level where it tells me the number of slots they have. I also have colored rings from soda bottle tops that I place on the mini to show effects that are ongoing. This helps the players know if they are slowed for example and know that they can save again.

Another point is that you do not have to worry as much if you miss something. The players won't now if you pre-cast mage armor or if you cast one too many lightning bolts. Have the fun keep rolling is more important.

Harzel

Adventurer
I use spell points, which, for me, are much more manageable than slots. But that might well be objected to if your players are using slots, since that would be a distinct advantage for the NPCs.

For spell (and other ability/feature) descriptions, I use a shorthand that eliminates as much text as possible, e.g., a range of 120 ft. and an effect that is a 20 ft. radius sphere becomes (R120/S20). Some of it comes out looking like code:
~ DEX save ? 8d6 fire : 1/2
A few idioms like that cover a lot of the spell descriptions. It puts a lot in a small space and gives me a form I can read very quickly. There's no formalism behind it, though - just whatever compact description will remind me what it does.

Those things said, I have only run one encounter of the complexity that you are describing, and it definitely felt like a reach-exceeding-grasp situation for me - I didn't feel the NPC opponents performed up to their potential. However, I don't think the players noticed; they were quite terrified to be facing multiple casters, at least until things began to turn in their favor. Getting counterspelled seemed to be a particular shocker.

I think one thing that was helpful and I should have done more of as part of my prep was to take each of the caster NPCs and go through some generic tactical scenarios, thinking about how they would handle them.

Good luck.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Most combats last 3-5 rounds, and nmost of them last no where near long enough to reduce a full casters entire spell selection. Nor with multiple casters are they all likely to cast every turn, some will be in melee, or whatever. It sounds weird but unless those NPCs are escaping and showing later that same day, you can probably just have them cast some shizz every turn off a group list and you'll be fine. I don't think there's a huge need to track every single spell slot, not even if combat is going twice the normal distance.

How many casters are you anticipating in a single encounter and with what levels?

Oofta

Legend
I have notes on my encounters such as what monsters and how many appear. When I have spell casters, I use one of two methods.

First method is to list out the spell level and number of slots which I just check off. If I have multiple spellcasting monsters of the same type I just make multiple columns.

For monsters I'm going to use again, I write up monster cards. All the stats I need all go on an index-card sized sheet (1/4 of a standard piece of paper) that I laminate. That way I can use a dry erase marker to do the spell level and number on the card itself.

Larnievc

Hero
I just give them two or three spells they might use in combat. Out side of combat I just use their level as a guide to what they can produce magically.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Look at their spell list. Pick 3-4 spells they are most likely to cast, as they will not be casting more than 5 for a regular combat. Print spell cards for those. If you happen to cast something else when appropriate situation calls for it, you can look up few of those.

Celebrim

Legend
Try to avoid doing that, for one thing.

One big problem that the D&D system has always had is that if you throw enough save or suck spells at a PC, they'll eventually fail a save. For example, seven 1st level spellcasters each casting 'Charm Person' has a very high chance to charm most PCs.

The second thing I would suggest to you is even if you find the situation requires it, don't try to track NPC spells like you would if they were PCs. The work load will be overwhelming.

Instead, list how each NPC begins the fight buffed (or not in the event of surprise), and then list roughly as many spells as the NPC will cast before dying in roughly the order they'll cast them if opportunity arises. This will mean you only need to track 3-4 spells. Then you're tracking much shorter lists.

If for some reason you get off script and the NPC finds themselves in a situation where they need some other spell, simply decide that they have it and add it to the list of spells. Rarely when you wing it like this are you going to differ much in what happens than if you choose all the spells ahead of time and were crossing them off, and the whole approach can be justified by the fact that most NPC spellcasters are geniuses who would have prepared the best and most useful spells available in the first place. Remember, the players are unlikely to be tracking the NPCs that carefully either.

As for knowing what spells do, it's the duty of a GM to know the system at least as well as anyone else at the table. If you can't wing a spell, then don't - cast a spell you can wing. Otherwise, make sure you've prepped ahead for the spells you are likely to use. Spell note cards are something I recommend for all PC spellcasters, and they can be handy in situations like this when you are running NPCs as well.

Celebrim

Legend
Look at their spell list. Pick 3-4 spells they are most likely to cast, as they will not be casting more than 5 for a regular combat. Print spell cards for those. If you happen to cast something else when appropriate situation calls for it, you can look up few of those.

This is the tl;dr version of my post. Excellent and succinct (something I could work on) advice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases