D&D 5E Relentless Avenger

Harzel

Adventurer
My players' characters are about to hit level 7, so I'm looking over the stuff that they will get. One of the PCs is a Vengeance Paladin, so she'll get the Relentless Avenger feature.

PHB said:
Relentless Avenger

By 7th level, your supernatural focus helps you close off a foe’s retreat. When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you can move up to half your speed immediately after the attack and as part of the same reaction. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

I'm having difficulty seeing how this could be useful more than rarely. Ok, your foe is trying to retreat. If it uses its action to Disengage, then you can probably catch up to it and whack on it some more, so it chooses to Dash instead, so you get an OA. Now, for this feature to work, first you have to hit it. Alright, so note: does nothing about 1/3 of the time. Assuming you hit, you can now move 1/2 your speed, so you can probably put yourself into its line of retreat if it is tiny, small, or medium, and maybe(?) if it is large, but not if it is huge or bigger. So you may have forced it to go around you, which will slow it down some, or if there is a very fortuitously placed choke point, you have blocked its retreat unless you are playing with overrun/tumble (which I do), in which case it has to make a roll to get through you. In the absence of the lucky choke point and an unsuccessful overrun, you likely have gained only 10 ft., which will generally not be enough to make up for the fact that your foe is Dashing, which means that on your next turn you will have to Dash to catch up to it and not be able to attack, which is exactly where you would have been without this feature. I suppose the other happy case is when your foe's speed is exactly 5 ft. more than yours and this feature enables you to keep up by Dashing, whereas you would not have been able to otherwise.

I don't know, this seems like a very small niche. Am I missing something?

Raughammer

First Post
Seems a wasted "perk".
If the paladin also is a "sentinel"....this perk becomes even less of a benefit.

7th level seems like much ado about nothing.

ECMO3

Hero
A lot of the 7th level abilities are pretty "meh" and only a few are particularly useful on a regular basis.
It really is feast or famine with these. Oathbreaker, Watchers and Conquest are freaking awesome and arguably OP, but the rest of them are not very good.

Clint_L

Hero
No, you're right, it kinda sucks. Vengeance paladin is still really good, though - vow of enmity is amazing and so is that spell list. Speaking of which, your buddy could just use misty step to catch up with that fleeing baddie, too, making Relentless Avenger extra pointless.

Ironically, because it doesn't provoke opportunity attacks Relentless Avenger is very good as a free disengage. Which seems like sort of the opposite of relentless.

Depends on how you run your NPCs. If they fight to the death, then its useless. But if they often try to flee to stay alive, then it can become quite 'useful'. esp if you allow them to do subdual damage.

Hussar

Legend
Depends on how you run your NPCs. If they fight to the death, then its useless. But if they often try to flee to stay alive, then it can become quite 'useful'. esp if you allow them to do subdual damage.
Not really. If the baddy disengages, then there's no OA, so, the power doesn't trigger. And, most things aren't going to draw that OA unless they really desperate. Note, in 5e, there's no such thing as "subdual damage". You simply choose not to kill the baddy with the last attack and you are allowed to declare that after the damage is done.

Now, as a free disengage? Yeah, it's fantastic. Particularly when coupled with Sentinel. Baddy attacks ally, you smack him, reduce his speed to zero and move 15 feet away. Or, if they try to withdraw, you still get your free smack, and then move away, leaving buddy with zero speed and you 15 feet away.

As written, it's not really a good power for chasing. But, it can be really useful in other ways.

A better feature would be that creatures always trigger OA from you. Even if a legendary action states otherwise. Would be metal.

jgsugden

Legend
This was kind of a weird necro to a thread that had no response back in 2019 - but I will toss in that the description they give in the PHB did not match my most common use case. It was not hunting down a retreating foe, it was repositioning after I took down my target. My paladin was in a party with a PC that had Dissonant Whispers. I'd charge into a battle and go after a BBEG or spellcaster and smite him down with big heavy hits, then the ally would use DW to force one of their allies to provoke an OA so that I could extricate myself from the enemy group that had gang tackled me when I was Smiting their leader/spellcaster. It allowed me to get my back against a wall, or reform a front line with some of my allies.

It is not a reliable ability, but over the course of Galen Draco's adventures from levels 7 to 18 - yeah, it made a difference a few times.

NotAYakk

Legend
As a DM, have monsters provoke OAs.

A lot.

Like, imagine there are no OAs. How would they move? Provoke about half as often as that.

You'll get much more fluid combat.

If this makes combat easier, well as the DM you control how many bad guys there are. So just tweak that dial.

Remove ads