D&D 5E Healing Surges arent Second Wind.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Healing Surges the 5e variant rule should be called Second Wind.
Ok not a big deal right? nothing to get teary or sniffles over however once you notice that it implements something rarely ever actually used it kind of becomes annoying (SW was kind of a back up thing not the meat of HS use). Second Winds were rarely ever used in my experience unless your party lacked the leader class or were Dwarves ;) the action cost mid combat was just plain prohibitive.

HS enabled easily having spells and abilities heal using percentages instead of absolute amounts and putting a significant amount of the energy and effectiveness on the hero receiving them. This is a heroic paradigm trope. You literally could not heal or inspire normal mundane folk as easily nor effectively as heros. Basically the non-heroic lacked deaper resources or access to them besides normal folk usually want ritual non-combat healing like removing grievous injuries and removal of their sniffles and other impairments not so much restoration of their fighting nerve and verve. See below on HS limited healing.

Empowering Fervor or Healing Surges
With this rule heros are allowed when being healed (by spell or gaining temporary hit points) to do a now properly named second wind without the action cost.

Limited Healing
Healing surges were an approximate cap albeit it a fairly high one on total daily healing. Sometimes this can be valuable if you make manufacture of healing potions or crystals or whatever fairly easy cheap and available, You could perhaps require spending of at least one HD when getting the benefits of potion healing or similar sources.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Healing Surges the 5e variant rule should be called Second Wind.
Ok not a big deal right? nothing to get teary or sniffles over however once you notice that it implements something rarely ever actually used it kind of becomes annoying (SW was kind of a back up thing not the meat of HS use). Second Winds were rarely ever used in my experience unless your party lacked the leader class or were Dwarves ;) the action cost mid combat was just plain prohibitive.

HS enabled easily having spells and abilities heal using percentages instead of absolute amounts and putting a significant amount of the energy and effectiveness on the hero receiving them. This is a heroic paradigm trope. You literally could not heal or inspire normal mundane folk as easily nor effectively as heros. Basically the non-heroic lacked deaper resources or access to them besides normal folk usually want ritual non-combat healing like removing grievous injuries and removal of their sniffles and other impairments not so much restoration of their fighting nerve and verve. See below on HS limited healing.

Empowering Fervor or Healing Surges
With this rule heros are allowed when being healed (by spell or gaining temporary hit points) to do a now properly named second wind without the action cost.

Limited Healing
Healing surges were an approximate cap albeit it a fairly high one on total daily healing. Sometimes this can be valuable if you make manufacture of healing potions or crystals or whatever fairly easy cheap and available, You could perhaps require spending of at least one HD when getting the benefits of potion healing or similar sources.

Not sure if this matters orcspplies, cuz I was not sure what the conclusion of your poet was, but...

In my game I removed a **lot** of the common hesling potions etc, removing the load-up-equipment HP return that was basically only controlled by inventory.

I also added a house rule allowing characters to spend HD when they regained HP by magical means and common elixirs that also allow spending dome HD - all these outside of rests.

The objective was to turn HD into the "heroic healing" with a limit that did not recover all overnight and put a character driven limit in place - HD on "common item healing between long rests."

It impacts of course the tactical side but that's just another resource to be managed, one with a long rest two-day recovery.

So far it has worked fine.

But, related to your post, it does sort of create a sense of "heroic recovery" when needed by the dint thst commoners etc wont have tons of HD to spend.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not sure if this matters orcspplies, cuz I was not sure what the conclusion of your poet was, but...

In my game I removed a **lot** of the common hesling potions etc, removing the load-up-equipment HP return that was basically only controlled by inventory.

I also added a house rule allowing characters to spend HD when they regained HP by magical means and common elixirs that also allow spending dome HD - all these outside of rests.

The objective was to turn HD into the "heroic healing" with a limit that did not recover all overnight and put a character driven limit in place - HD on "common item healing between long rests."

It impacts of course the tactical side but that's just another resource to be managed, one with a long rest two-day recovery.

So far it has worked fine.

But, related to your post, it does sort of create a sense of "heroic recovery" when needed by the dint thst commoners etc wont have tons of HD to spend.

Sounds like some very similar rule idea.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases