D&D 5E Monk Druid Question

trentonjoe

Explorer
If a monk/druid cast Primal Savagery:

You channel primal magic to cause your teeth or fingernails to sharpen, ready to deliver a corrosive attack. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 acid damage. After you make the attack, your teeth or fingernails return to normal.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

Would the attack include the monk's martial arts damage?

My gut is telling me no but it would be super cool if was yes :)

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
No, you get your martial arts damage when you make a melee weapon attack using a monk weapon or unarmed strike. You are making a melee spell attack here.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If a monk/druid cast Primal Savagery:

You channel primal magic to cause your teeth or fingernails to sharpen, ready to deliver a corrosive attack. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 acid damage. After you make the attack, your teeth or fingernails return to normal.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

Would the attack include the monk's martial arts damage?

My gut is telling me no but it would be super cool if was yes :)

[MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] is absolutely right on what the rules are in this situation. That being said... this is the sort of interesting character design concept that I as a DM would be happy to work with a player on to eventually allow to happen. Adding Martial Arts to Primal Savagery would basically be along the lines of the damage gained by certain magic items, so there's nothing inherently unbalanced by this a few levels down the road. Especially considering a regular Monk could be making 4+ attacks per round with Martial Arts normally (Extra Attack plus 2 from Flurry of Blows). So to lose out on those extra attacks to instead make a Melee Spell Attack action to add a Primal Savagery d10 is nothing worth getting up in arms over.

If the player has an idea of a martial artist who fights in a certain "animal style" (say Crane style, or Monkey style, etc. etc.) and thinks Primal Savagery + Martial Arts leading eventually to Wild Shape + Martial Arts would be a cool way to embody that... I'd work with them to get there 100%. At the end of the day, it just means they probably won't be finding a magic weapon to use like the other PCs will eventually acquire. And my guess is the player will be fine with that. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases