D&D 2E 2e, the most lethal edition?

Hussar

Legend
The odds of thatvirc dealing 45 damage is stupidly low. 1 in 20 for the threat, then confirm it then roll a 12. It's about one in a thousand chance give or take.

1E and BECMI had giant bees, a lot higher chance to kill you at low level.

Couple of points.

1. I did actually state 3e, not 3.5, so, great axes were the stat block.

2. You needed to have about 12-14 encounters (at par level) per level to gain a level. Meaning a 3 orc encounter was a CR 1 encounter - standard encounter for a 1st level party. Presume 2 rounds of combat and that's 6 attacks/encounter. Multiply by 12 and that's now 72 attacks per level. Suddenly that spike damage of 28 (ish) on the mean, which instantly kills every 1st level character, isn't all that rare.

3. Missing the point. Sure you could add in giant bees. Fair enough. But, not every encounter featured giant bees. Some did, and they would be deadly, but, some didn't. I mean, look at Keep on the Borderlands - a couple of hundred encounters and only, maybe 5% have save or die effects. It's not like these were encountered all the time.

But, 10XCR was the baseline for 3e creatures for max damage. They essentially only had to get lucky once. The PC's had to get lucky every time.

------

IME, the reason 3e wasn't very lethal is because of softball DM's creatively interpreting die rolls. Ie. Fudging. They didn't want to kill the PC's, so, they ignored it. Or, they had monsters spread their attacks out and never focus fire. Instead of that giant pumping all three attacks into one PC, the DM spread the damage so no one ever died.

I mean, good grief, a fire giant, without using power attack does 9d6+45 points of damage. Give him 5 points of power attack, and now he does 9d6+75 points of damage. This is a CR 10 creature. Never minding crits, his standard damage will kill PC's.

To me, it's no contest. 3e, played by the book, is far, far more lethal than AD&D ever was. Most encounters in AD&D aren't really a threat to the PC's. The odds of killing a PC through damage was incredibly low. But, in 3e, the monsters potentially could drop PC's every single round. There's a reason they talk about 3e rocket tag.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Couple of points.

1. I did actually state 3e, not 3.5, so, great axes were the stat block.

2. You needed to have about 12-14 encounters (at par level) per level to gain a level. Meaning a 3 orc encounter was a CR 1 encounter - standard encounter for a 1st level party. Presume 2 rounds of combat and that's 6 attacks/encounter. Multiply by 12 and that's now 72 attacks per level. Suddenly that spike damage of 28 (ish) on the mean, which instantly kills every 1st level character, isn't all that rare.

3. Missing the point. Sure you could add in giant bees. Fair enough. But, not every encounter featured giant bees. Some did, and they would be deadly, but, some didn't. I mean, look at Keep on the Borderlands - a couple of hundred encounters and only, maybe 5% have save or die effects. It's not like these were encountered all the time.

But, 10XCR was the baseline for 3e creatures for max damage. They essentially only had to get lucky once. The PC's had to get lucky every time.

------

IME, the reason 3e wasn't very lethal is because of softball DM's creatively interpreting die rolls. Ie. Fudging. They didn't want to kill the PC's, so, they ignored it. Or, they had monsters spread their attacks out and never focus fire. Instead of that giant pumping all three attacks into one PC, the DM spread the damage so no one ever died.

I mean, good grief, a fire giant, without using power attack does 9d6+45 points of damage. Give him 5 points of power attack, and now he does 9d6+75 points of damage. This is a CR 10 creature. Never minding crits, his standard damage will kill PC's.

To me, it's no contest. 3e, played by the book, is far, far more lethal than AD&D ever was. Most encounters in AD&D aren't really a threat to the PC's. The odds of killing a PC through damage was incredibly low. But, in 3e, the monsters potentially could drop PC's every single round. There's a reason they talk about 3e rocket tag.

How many encounters with orcs would you need to kill in AD&D to make level 2?

A lot more than 12-14. So using that as an example of why 3e is more deadly seems odd. Add the total damage potential output for 3e and 1e over the total number of orcs to make a level, and even with higher spike damage, I’m guessing the sheer number of orcs needed in 1e far outstrips the number needed in 3e

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Sure, but it's a lot easier to assume he's going to do that damage if you assume he's going to hit. Take that 5 points of power attack and the 3rd attack is at only +5 to hit, so while the damage potential from that attack may be 3d6+25, the probability is high that it will end up being 0. Even the second attack may be struggling to hit as well.

Meanwhile, we've got PC tactics to deal with. To get his best attacks, that giant has to close rather than lob a rock. If he does so, he's only getting one attack. The next round, the party's front rank martial takes a 5' step and gets a full attack in on a giant that was probably softened up on his approach (that is, if the rest of the party is doing it's job). You're assuming that the DM has to be wiffling the encounter for the PCs to not get smacked around. It has been my experience that PCs are pretty damn resourceful and don't need coddling.

GreyLord

Legend
Nothing has been interpreted 40 years after the fact. It was interpreted during 1e back in the early 80's.

Yes. The DM that dictated which rules were used. The PHB didn't have primacy. You also clearly haven't read the 1e DMG introduction which not only does not state that the rules inside it are all options, but in fact says otherwise. It states straight out that they supplement and augment the PHB rules, which means that the DMG changes them. The PHB rules are secondary to the DMG rules, regardless of whether or not the players read the DMG, which virtually all of them did anyway.

Sure, except not. I've already states that I'm basing it on actual game play. I lost far more PCs playing 1e than 2e, and with many of the same DMs, so it wasn't a DM thing.

Other than the fact that it said otherwise, sure. Seriously, read the introduction in the 1e DMG. You'll see that the things inside are not optional rules outside of every rule in every book being technically "optional."

They are flat out contradictory no matter how you understand them or how many glances it takes. The PHB states that 0 hit poins = death. Not maybe death. Not sometimes death. Always death. The DMG states that 0 hit points is never death. It's unconsciousness and you may eventually die or not. Those are mutually exclusive positions. You cannot have 0 hit points be both always death and never death.

Per the DMG introduction, the rule in the DMG was an augmentation to the PHB rule and was not at all an optional rule.

[/COLOR]Hmm. It seems you have read the intro and just didn't understand it. Here are some portions that will help you.

"It is incumbent upon all DMs to be thoroughly conversant with the PLAYERS HANDBOOK, and at the same time you must also know the additional information which is given in this volume, for it rounds out and completes the whole. While players will know that they must decide upon an alignment, for example, you, the DM, will further know that each and every action they take will be mentally recorded by you; and at adventure’s end you will secretly note any player character movement on the alignment graph."

"After the material which pertains directly to the PLAYERS HANDBOOK comes the information which supplements and augments."

"And while there are no optionals for the maior systems of ADVANCED D&D (for uniformity of rules and procedures from game to game, campaign to campaign, is stressed), there are plenty of areas where your own creativity and imagination are not bounded by the parameters of the game system. These are sections where only a few hints and suggestions are given, and the rest left to the DM."

The DMG rounds out and completes the PHB rules. Then it offers supplements and augmentations to the rules. Then it says straight out that there are no optionals for the major systems. Unless you are suggesting to me that hit point damage and PC death is a minor system...

DMG says it pretty plainly it is options. I quoted it where it actually encourages the DM to cut rules from it and not use everything in it. This was something that Gary through his actions constantly did, though more so probably in homegames. ONLY someone reading it with modern reading as they would with 4e would make the conclusion it says something else. Others (arneson was famous for it) would flat out alter rules as they saw fit (rather than DMG, they saw EVERY rule as optional in D&D and AD&D).

AS PER THE OFFICIAL RULINGS, the PHB, pg 105 WAS the actual official rule in most games held. Just because you decided to ignore it doesn't make your mistaken interpretation of a rule the one that was considered the official one used..

Anyways, you are free to your own opinion (along with what...3-4 others in this thread out of millions who played AD&D 1e) that 2e is the most lethal. Obviously, for you, it is...but it is OBVIOUSLY NOT the most lethal for many others.

Obviously, you disagree about 1e or 3e being able to be more lethal, and it being more of a DM's view. We will just disagree.

However, I'm done arguing with 4e guys over how 1e and the DMG was run. You want to read it with a modern view (instead of how it actually was, this is how part of the OSR branches came about, with DM's having the power to pick the options out of the DMG...not rule lawyers and players saying since an option is listed in the DMG it must be a rule...something NOT EVEN GYGAX adhered to...and he WROTE the dang thing...though his stance on the PHB was a little stricter and stronger as far as rules go...every rule in the DMG...not as much. Of course, if you adhered to every rule in the DMG...it could be a very interesting game...but then again HE wouldn't have misinterpreted the ZHP as it has been in this thread).

I came to point out a fallacy of interpretation. I was OPEN to being convinced if one could have actually used the correct rules as they were used. I didn't side necessarily with 1e being the most lethal and in fact my opinion was open for any edition being lethal. I pointed out why I wasn't convinced by the discussions here, and...I WAS NOT.

Anyways, you are free to your opinion, but if YOU ACTUALLY WANT to convince those who don't SHARE your opinion you probably should have addressed the things we had a problem with. I was never arguing that 2e couldn't be more lethal than 1e, but the representation of the 1e rules. If you are going to ignore the actual official rules and rulings of 1e, than there's probably NO WAY your going to convince those who are long time players and were around during the 1e years of your opinion.

Thus far, even the 3e argument (which is why I now will say 3e could be just as lethal, as before I probably would have put 2e or 1e in front of it as far as lethality went) is better than the one presented here.

As such, I can see there is no REAL desire to actually convince those looking at it about the point of the thread, but merely try to argue that ONE point of contention determines which edition is actually more lethal (and there are FAR more other points, some which I brought up briefly, that could be utilized to say 2e was NOT as lethal if one used the official rules or looked at it).

There are a host of other things that would go counter to the idea of 2e (theif specializing in Remove traps not as likely to be killed outright using that skill, Weapon Specialization in core 2e, but not core 1e giving Fighters multiple attacks at 1st level, some wizard spells having greater power and ability to be abused...etc...etc...etc) being more lethal and they could have been addressed or discussed

Those here seem FAR more concerned about what was an OPTIONAL rule (as in, officially not utilized in many official games, with deference to the PHB ruling...though ZHP could be used by DMs if they wanted to have there players unconscious rather than dead...Something I believe Gygax would do [though he would just ignore the death at 0 or even -3 HP rulings and would even go to -200 HP and PC's being unconscious if it fitted his more personal games] and arguing that they HAD to have the correct ruling on it and no one else ever used anything else (as if, especially in AD&D 1e) or that others even interpreted it or saw it differently.

Thus, I AM NOT convinced, and as I don't see any arguments actually addressing my concerns or thoughts (show that 2e was more lethal WITHOUT what I would say is your misinterpretation of the ZHP rule), I'd say there's really no point in continuing the conversation.

Thanks for your time, but until someone actually comes up with a more convincing argument, I'm going to have to say that at this point we are probably going to have to agree to disagree.

My opinion being that 1e-3e can be more or less lethal, any of them could be more lethal than the other, it being more dependent on the DM and the way they run their game and interpret the rules.

Your opinion, from what I can tell, being that 2e is the most lethal D&D as per the rules (which we disagree on how they are even interpreted, much less how they are applied) than any other edition.

GreyLord

Legend
Sorry, but this is hilarious on several levels. One is just who you're talking too, I mean, you are barking up a tree he ain't never climbed.

You're also confusing your post-TSR trends, a little. 3.x had the RaW-uber-allies zeitgiest going.

But, it's the OP, Sacrosanct, a dyed in the sandtable old school headmaster, who has insisted on confining this debate to the actual, verifiable, rules-in-print, in spite of being well aware of the prevalence of variants back in the day.

Need more really be said?

I think most of the discussion now isn't with Sacrosanct, but others.

I brought up the flaw in the discussion and was willing to listen to how they thought 2e was more lethal when it was using what I see as a more correct interpretation.

Instead of actually addressing that...they figured to try to argue that their interpretation was the ONLY correct interpretation (OH REALLY...this is AD&D 1e we are talking about, and this is the 1e DMG especially....something that was a core branch that the OSR was born around...and the OSR isn't really from those who felt the DMG was full of mandatory rules...it's rulings...not rules).

Short to say...I have not been convinced of their argument. If their argument relies entirely on their own personal interpretation of a rule...than I'd say, few as they have been, the 1e guys really made their point FAR better than others thus far.

Not that I'm convinced (I also still play 2e, and as such my PERSONAL experience has shown it can be rather lethal) that 1e was more lethal, but 2e definitely seems LESS lethal to me NOW compared to 1e than when I first stumbled on the thread (the one who pointed out other factors in a short post of things 2e had that made it less lethal was actually a pretty good argument, some of which I brought up briefly but of course, of those arguing for 2e lethality wants to address anything other than trying to ensure that their interpretation of the ZHP rule not only has to be mandatory for AD&D [which is hilarious to anyone who actually played during that period, almost no one used that rule, almost everyone had PC's die at 0 HP normally unless the DM had another plan] but has to have been how it is used and interpreted by EVERYONE else (ignoring the obvious elephant in the room that, I am part of that everyone else and obviously DO NOT interpret it the same way).

So...yeah...not convinced at all. In fact, probably more convinced they are not correct. Not only was my thought not really addressed, instead of actually trying to bolster the argument in 2e's favor, post were spent trying to convince me that they were right (once again, about AD&D 1e...anyone see the hilarious point of that) and they ONLY had the right interpretation of a rule and everyone played by their interpretation (which again, most of those who actually LIVED and PLAYED in the AD&D 1e era KNOWS that isn't true). There are a host of different ways games were run. IF anything, it seems to prove that the game really DOES depend on how the DM rules and runs their game rather than how people are trying to present it in this thread that are trying to say 2e was more lethal...period.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think most of the discussion now isn't with Sacrosanct, but others.
I think we can all acknowledge that D&D was played very differently by different groups back in the day - but still, if we're interested in the question - look at how the published rules, themselves, stacked up in terms of theoretical lethality. The results, if any, is going to be just that, theoretical. The reality already happened, and happened differently, for different groups in different times & places.

Short to say...I have not been convinced of their argument. If their argument relies entirely on their own personal interpretation of a rule...than I'd say, few as they have been, the 1e guys really made their point FAR better than others thus far.
The interpretations of 1e are harder, of course, as it was less clearly-presented, but, FWIW, I couldn't agree with Max's interpretation of the 1e death/dying rule, at all.

Not that I'm convinced that 1e was more lethal, but 2e definitely seems LESS lethal to me NOW compared to 1e than when I first stumbled on the thread
those arguing for 2e lethality wants to address anything other than trying to ensure that their interpretation of the ZHP rule not only has to be mandatory for AD&D [which is hilarious to anyone who actually played during that period, almost no one used that rule, almost everyone had PC's die at 0 HP normally unless the DM had another plan]
Everyone ran games differently back then (heck everyone does, today, but there's an on-line 'consensus' (groupthink?) of sorts). For instance, in the area and years I played 1e (SF bay area, 80-89), the 0HP rule was virtually always used, and often in a more generous form than the DMG version - and on top of other tricks to keep 1st level characters alive, like Max first HD, binding wounds, 'brevets' (start at 2nd level w/0 exp), etc...

There are a host of different ways games were run. IF anything, it seems to prove that the game really DOES depend on how the DM rules and runs their game rather than how people are trying to present it in this thread that are trying to say 2e was more lethal...period.
Absolutely. The OP's question is largely academic.

The bit I found compelling - because I never saw too big a difference between 2e (which I only payed attention to the first half of it's run, so I missed a lot of the crazier stuff) PC options and 1e wasn't huge in terms of affecting lethality, while the deadliness of monsters seemed to take a real leap. FWIW.

GreyLord

Legend
I think we can all acknowledge that D&D was played very differently by different groups back in the day - but still, if we're interested in the question - look at how the published rules, themselves, stacked up in terms of theoretical lethality. The results, if any, is going to be just that, theoretical. The reality already happened, and happened differently, for different groups in different times & places.

The interpretations of 1e are harder, of course, as it was less clearly-presented, but, FWIW, I couldn't agree with Max's interpretation of the 1e death/dying rule, at all.

Not that I'm convinced that 1e was more lethal, but 2e definitely seems LESS lethal to me NOW compared to 1e than when I first stumbled on the thread
Everyone ran games differently back then (heck everyone does, today, but there's an on-line 'consensus' (groupthink?) of sorts). For instance, in the area and years I played 1e (SF bay area, 80-89), the 0HP rule was virtually always used, and often in a more generous form than the DMG version - and on top of other tricks to keep 1st level characters alive, like Max first HD, binding wounds, 'brevets' (start at 2nd level w/0 exp), etc...

Absolutely. The OP's question is largely academic.

The bit I found compelling - because I never saw too big a difference between 2e (which I only payed attention to the first half of it's run, so I missed a lot of the crazier stuff) PC options and 1e wasn't huge in terms of affecting lethality, while the deadliness of monsters seemed to take a real leap. FWIW.

Yeah, the OP seems to have a similar opinion to mine currently from what I read in the last two pages of the thread.

early on in it's lifespan (in print) I joined a 2e game that was VERY lethal. We had TPK's constantly, and very few made it to 2nd level, much less to anything over that for the a year or two.

Didn't notice much of a difference in the low level monsters (mid range, though, especially Dragons and to a degree Giants had a boost in HP, though breath weapons seemed to be a TAD less lethal in 2e when we faced them) but higher levels seemed to get a boost.

I saw MAX HP, or other various ways to keep characters alive in 1e and 2e (my favored one is that if they don't have at least half an HD of HP at first level, they can reroll, but there were many others...some also ran it with what you rolled is what you got, lots of variation there. I differ from Sacro in that I think the variation stuck through with 2e between games, but it was getting more along the lines of people doing similar things...I blame group think).

1e had some pretty common ways of being run and ways they ran them at the tourneys and official games, but there were many various houserules, options, and other things as well that varied from game to game. Tourneys WERE made to run quickly, probably more quickly than most home games would run or like to run (one reason Tourney modules tended to be pretty lethal overall, while games ran at home, [IMO] even by Ggyax would not be quite like that and more leniency given).

You could say the AD&D years would be the wild west, while the 3e and 4e years were the attempt to be the more civilized law abiding years (after the man who killed Liberty Valance). 5e is more of a return to the wild west idea...but not quite as wild as it was during those earlier times.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You could say the AD&D years would be the wild west, while the 3e and 4e years were the attempt to be the more civilized law abiding years ... 5e is more of a return to the wild west idea...but not quite as wild as it was during those earlier times.
That's an amusing way of thinking of it. ;) I like it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, the OP seems to have a similar opinion to mine currently from what I read in the last two pages of the thread.

Yeah, I don’t think we do lol. I think 2e, RAW, is still more lethal than 1e. So specialization in 2e was core. Ok. Only for the fighter. No other class. Monster lethality was improved dramatically while PC power didn’t. A thief might be able to specialize in trap disarming, but they’d suck even worse at everything else, so it balanced out over the course of the campaign. Default stat generation went from 4d6 drop lowest to 3d6 in order. Lower stats makes it more lethal in so many ways. XP for treasure was gone, which meant slower leveling, which means more opportunity to die. Automatic save or die from large damage? Only a 2e thing.

And if you do include expanded rules during the lifespan of each edition, nothing in the players options books came close to the power if using 1e unearthed arcana stuff. Multiple classes specializing, barbarian and cavalier classes with ability score improvements and an ability score generation method of rolling 9d6 for primary ability, 8d6 for second, etc.

Didn't notice much of a difference in the low level monsters (mid range, though, especially Dragons and to a degree Giants had a boost in HP, though breath weapons seemed to be a TAD less lethal in 2e when we faced them) but higher levels seemed to get a boost

No offense, but failure to notice on your part didn’t mean it didn’t exist. Look at my first posts in this thread. Not only did the 2e dragon’s breath do way more damage than in 1e, but the massive damage and die rule in combination made them exponentially more lethal than in 1e

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This thread has me rereading the 2e DMG which is in turn giving me ideas for 5e.

How did 1e give out experience points? Was it just monsters defeated and treasure earned? I ask because I'm reading the 2e DMG on the subject and it reads like the DM should be giving out additional experience over and above the XP gained from monsters killed based on three constants: Fun, Character Survival, and Improvement (i.e., the player gets better and plays more intelligently). This is also followed by the Story Goal which is defined later in the chapter as no more than the maximum experience that could be gained from defeated monsters that might be encountered in the adventure. So if the adventure has 1000XP worth of monsters, the story reward could be up to an extra 1000XP. You might not even get all of the monster XP since you might miss some of the monsters but this would have no bearing on the story XP. It does also say that the story award should be no more than 1/10th the XP needed to level which considering the difference in XP tables, that might be difficult to judge.

Also, in regard to weapon specialisation and player's option in 2e every single class could gain specialisation if they wanted to, though I'm assuming that 1e UA allowed for multiple classes to gain specialisation without having to give up other powers to do so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases