D&D 5E Ranger class changes

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Thought to share version we have been playing. This version is the spell casting version (note there is a non-spell casting version as well.)

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LiLlbZfozU16w6hzfY6

The premise of the changes are to

• Eliminate need for GM to change adventure to appease the ranger player
  • Changed features that are narrowly focused
  • Made it a prepared caster as it is a class that can adapt, ie McGuyver
  • Offer a limited usage ability to cast Hunter's Mark Spell without concentration, but limited time. Thus allowing it to be used with other concentration spells. (Also somewhat appeases players who wanted it as a feature)
  • Enforce the Ranger's ability to survive in the wild by offering other skills such as swimming and climbing
  • Created a tool to deal with traps that do not have a lock or use a key

Xeviat

Hero
  • Eliminate need for GM to change adventure to appease the ranger player
  • Changed features that are narrowly focused
  • Made it a prepared caster as it is a class that can adapt, ie McGuyver
  • Offer a limited usage ability to cast Hunter's Mark Spell without concentration, but limited time. Thus allowing it to be used with other concentration spells. (Also somewhat appeases players who wanted it as a feature)
  • Enforce the Ranger's ability to survive in the wild by offering other skills such as swimming and climbing
  • Created a tool to deal with traps that do not have a lock or use a key

I like 1, 2, 3 (especially), 5, and maybe 6 in theory. I don't like 4; upon a lot of review, all of the Ranger's damage buff spells have concentration. It really seems intentional.

I'll come back and say more after I read it. This topic is very dear to me.

Xeviat

Hero
I like your changes. I'm staying by my initial reaction, that I don't like the no-concentration hunter's mark, but making it last a minute probably brings it in line with being able to stack Divine Smite and Smite Spells on the same attack for the Paladin.

You left conclave at 5th level, but also gave extra attack; I assume you forgot to remove one of these.

Alacrity is cool. Your changed wording on Hide in Plain Sight feels weird, but I like that you added camps (I still feel like 5E's Hide in Plain Sight should be something anyone with Stealth and Survival can do, it doesn't seem like a 10th level ability). Your Natural Explorer Improvement at 10th is cool. Master scout is cool, but slipping the old Natural Explorer features in here seems late when the Rogue has had 4 expertises since 6th level; you probably could have added some of that sooner. But I like the extra round; the Thief gets this at 17th level, but overlap between the Ranger and Theif doesn't feel too bad.

I do want to point out one thing, though: Look at your 1st level compared to the Rogue at 1st level. Sneak Attack at 1st level is on par with Fighting Style, but Fighting Style doesn't come until 2nd level. You get expertise in 2 skills (survival and 1 other), and your exploration feature abilities, but that's it. Rogue's get expertise in 2 skills and a combat buff. The paladin runs into this same thing too, though, I think there could be some discussion about moving Fighting Style from 2nd to 1st for both the Ranger and the Paladin.

I see you added Great Weapon Fighting and took out Defense; did you have a specific reason? I kind of like the Ranger not having Great Weapon Fighting, but it feels odd to take away Defense when every Fighting Style class gets it.

Eubani

Legend
I see you added Great Weapon Fighting and took out Defense; did you have a specific reason? I kind of like the Ranger not having Great Weapon Fighting, but it feels odd to take away Defense when every Fighting Style class gets it.
The 2 handed weapon Giant Slayer is an old trope that got lost in the dual wielding and archery shuffle as editions moved along.

Xeviat

Hero
The 2 handed weapon Giant Slayer is an old trope that got lost in the dual wielding and archery shuffle as editions moved along.

I suppose I (and the 5E designers, based on their "build recommendations") favor the Dex Ranger over the Str Ranger. I don't think it's unbalanced at all, just something I was curious about. It probably wouldn't hurt to put all styles on all 3 warriors, as long as you chanced Smite to 1/round (*dodges smites*).

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I like your changes. I'm staying by my initial reaction, that I don't like the no-concentration hunter's mark, but making it last a minute probably brings it in line with being able to stack Divine Smite and Smite Spells on the same attack for the Paladin.

Yes, intentionally made it 1 minute so not overpowering but also in line with the paladin’s improved divine smite.

You left conclave at 5th level, but also gave extra attack; I assume you forgot to remove one of these.

Yes it is a mistake. Will correct it when have a chance.

Alacrity is cool. Your changed wording on Hide in Plain Sight feels weird, but I like that you added camps (I still feel like 5E's Hide in Plain Sight should be something anyone with Stealth and Survival can do, it doesn't seem like a 10th level ability). Your Natural Explorer Improvement at 10th is cool. Master scout is cool, but slipping the old Natural Explorer features in here seems late when the Rogue has had 4 expertises since 6th level; you probably could have added some of that sooner. But I like the extra round; the Thief gets this at 17th level, but overlap between the Ranger and Theif doesn't feel too bad.

Thank you for the praise for Alacrity, Natural Explorer, and Master Scout.

Agree that Hide in Plain Sight anyone should be able to do, but the penalty the enemy takes makes it unique. You maybe correct that I may not be a 10th level ability ( but everything can’t be packed into the first 6 levels) but adding the Natural Explorer Improvement helps round out the level.

Will review wording on Hide in Plain Sight

I understand slipping in the original version of Natural Explorer at 20th level maybe late, but consider its applicable in all terrains (except urban) which makes it very strong. Potential for expertise in more than 4 skills. Can take skilled feat and add 3 more expertise skills

I do want to point out one thing, though: Look at your 1st level compared to the Rogue at 1st level. Sneak Attack at 1st level is on par with Fighting Style, but Fighting Style doesn't come until 2nd level. You get expertise in 2 skills (survival and 1 other), and your exploration feature abilities, but that's it. Rogue's get expertise in 2 skills and a combat buff. The paladin runs into this same thing too, though, I think there could be some discussion about moving Fighting Style from 2nd to 1st for both the Ranger and the Paladin.

True, and as you pointed out it is the same case for the paladin.

Added Great Weapon FS was for Strength based players. Removing Defensive FS was because wanted fighter to be only class with all the choices. Also makes it different from the other classes

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases