D&D 5E [5e] [B/X] Into the Unknown and old school modules

For anyone into some of the older style play I'd highly recommend Into the Unknown:

https://o5rgames.blogspot.com/2019/05/into-unknown-is-now-available-in-print.html?m=1

I recently picked up a copy and I'm really eager to run it when I get a chance.

There's 5e at its core, but combat is largely cut down, feats removed. In it's place are highlight journeying rules, encumbrance and resource management, wandering monsters, reaction and morale rules, gold for xp and downtime activities.

Don't get me wrong, I love 5e, but sometimes I'm keen for a different style of play and it feels like this could deliver really well.

On thst note, I'd love to run some of the classic modules from that era, but there's a lot out there and I know they can be a mixed bag.

Does anyone have any classic d&d modules they would recommend?

Oh i forgot, and I love that it comes in 5 little books!

Perfect for being around the table. Give the spell casters the magic book, give the players the playing the game book, and keep the monsters and running the game books!

I have a copy of Into The Unknown as well. It is an awesome game. Even though I run base 5e, I use its Running the Game guidelines in all my sessions.

There a couple good old school and old school compatible modules to check out....

Ironwood Gorge is pretty solid (it is similar in style to Keep on The Borderlands).

For the original modules, I liked B4 Lost City as one of the best of the bunch. The interplay between the factions in the dungeon makes for a lot of fun, with the right players.

For something a little more ambitious, Stonehell Dungeon is amazing. I've run it with 3 different rule systems (including 5e). It is a massive megadungeon and there is a lot of cool stuff to do and discover within.

I've also had a lot of fun with Dyson's Delve. It's kind of a mini-megadungeon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have the Goodman Games reprint "Into the Borderlands," which has B1-B2 in their original formats and updated to 5E: pretty legit.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Goodman Games also remade Isle of Dread 5e .

I picked the PDFs a week or two ago. I’ve only given a skim through of the book since I’m not DMing right now, but next campaign I run will probably involve these books.

I’m curious how you’ll handle XP. Will you use the approximate breakdown for gaining XP as written (50% Gold, 25% Adventuring, 25% Facing Danger)? Assuming that you’ll use XP for Gold, what rate will you use?

More than anything I’d love to hear your, or anybody’s, experiences using these rules.

Happy gaming!

I'll probably adapt a fairly reverse engineered model where i will allocate about 1/3 of a level per sessions worth of xp and allocate it as the book says. Making sure that 25% facing danger qualifies as talking your way out of trouble or sneaking past enemies.

I've run AD&D, BECMI and Pathfinder modules in 5E with minimal prep-work.

Examples include Pazios Crown of the Kobold king, the entire Age of Worms adventure path, AD&D's Lost Island of Castanamir and more.

Literally; a half experienced DM can run them on the fly no-worries at all. Monsters are a 1 for 1 swap most times, ditto with NPCs.

DCs are made up on the fly (10 for easy, 15 for moderate, 20 for Hard, 25 for 'nope').

Its amazing how good it works.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I've run AD&D, BECMI and Pathfinder modules in 5E with minimal prep-work.

Examples include Pazios Crown of the Kobold king, the entire Age of Worms adventure path, AD&D's Lost Island of Castanamir and more.

Literally; a half experienced DM can run them on the fly no-worries at all. Monsters are a 1 for 1 swap most times, ditto with NPCs.

DCs are made up on the fly (10 for easy, 15 for moderate, 20 for Hard, 25 for 'nope').

Its amazing how good it works.

yep, i’m one of those half experienced DMs and I ran B10 without much need for referencing conversion material. The only exception being monsters that are unique to the module (Thoul and Kartoeba). Even then, I probably could’ve just re-skinned some monsters from the MM.

btw, there are cheap 5e conversions for plenty of old modules in DM’s Guild and Drivethru rpg. You’ll need to own the original first though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases