D&D 5E [5e] [B/X] Into the Unknown and old school modules

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Just to be really pedantic, both B1 and B2 were originally written for Holmes Basic D&D then later converted and re-released when B/X came out in 1981

Thanks again for the recommendations!

[MENTION=88539]LowKey[/MENTION] I'll check them out. Looking through lost city, there's a tonne of sessions you could run for that alone.

How many sessions do you normally get out of the old modules?

Li Shenron

Legend
For anyone into some of the older style play I'd highly recommend Into the Unknown:

https://o5rgames.blogspot.com/2019/05/into-unknown-is-now-available-in-print.html?m=1

I recently picked up a copy and I'm really eager to run it when I get a chance.

There's 5e at its core, but combat is largely cut down, feats removed. In it's place are highlight journeying rules, encumbrance and resource management, wandering monsters, reaction and morale rules, gold for xp and downtime activities.

Don't get me wrong, I love 5e, but sometimes I'm keen for a different style of play and it feels like this could deliver really well.

On thst note, I'd love to run some of the classic modules from that era, but there's a lot out there and I know they can be a mixed bag.

Does anyone have any classic d&d modules they would recommend?

I've played several older modules converted to 5e: Horror on the Hill, Desert of Desolation, Secret of Saltmarsh, Keep on the Borderlands...

They all play pretty well with 5e rules, I don't see any problem.

I also played Into the Unknown (with playtest rules though). It's ok but I don't like much the old idea of leaving empty rooms "for the DM to fill", always sounded like a cheap trick to me.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Does anyone have any classic d&d modules they would recommend?

I actually thought this thread was about B1 In Search Of The Unknown at first blush. That module is, in my opinion, the greatest introductory/tutorial module ever made. Much, much better (and this is an opinion come to fairly recently) that Keep On The Borderlands.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases