D&D 5E Is This Odd?

Zardnaar

Legend
So I went into my flgs and picked up a premium copy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh. Had a chat with the owner.

Anyway a young fella came in and he got called over and got told "don't do what you did the other night".

I assumed he had made some inappropriate comment, or done something stupid. He didn't know what he did. Anyway it turned out he looked at his copy of the MM in the middle of a combat.

I was off to the side and was asked what I thought. I was kind of puzzled as it was phrased like "should players have access to the MM".

Now I do remember when I was young I read the monsters but not in the middle of combat. I said something like it's not really kosher but yeah players can use it for things like wildshape, summoning etc.

Anyway I thought it was odd the DM got the gamestore owner involved. She runs for new players so the young in probably didn't know gaming etiquette. If I was the DM I would deal with it myself.

I haven't run a game in over a year and for the most part my group was self contained, one player left, one player joined and player turnover was very low. My newest player has been 8 years, another known for over a decade and the last regular since 2003. Oh one semi regular I've known for 5 years.

So these new groups are basically strangers meeting via Facebook or game store organising stuff. More groups at the local university. It just seems odd to me IDK if there's a DM shortage but for me D&D has always been with friends.

I also look at is as a learning curve for myself as well.

jasper

Rotten DM
No. It is not odd. Unless you have an ability you should not be opening the MM during the game. NOT COOL. As to the gamestore owner getting involved. I think "Young Fella" open the book, was told to put away, and told the DM to take a hike. So the DM send him to the mommy for a spanking.

Zardnaar

Legend
No. It is not odd. Unless you have an ability you should not be opening the MM during the game. NOT COOL. As to the gamestore owner getting involved. I think "Young Fella" open the book, was told to put away, and told the DM to take a hike. So the DM send him to the mommy for a spanking.

That may have happened idk. I've talked to 4 other DMs and they're all doing their own thing.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't care if someone reads the Monster Manual during play. If the difficulty of my challenge is hugely affected by players knowing something about the monsters, then I've designed a poor challenge. I don't expect veteran players to pretend like they don't know something about a monster they've been fighting for years and years. Basically the same thing in my view. If I want the difficulty of the challenge to be based in part on not knowing what the monsters can do, then I'll just change the stat block before presenting it.

As for why the store owner was involved, perhaps the DM is an agreeable person and avoids conflicts or sees herself as having some kind of duty not to drive off customers by being confrontational, so leaves such things to the owner.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Anyway I thought it was odd the DM got the gamestore owner involved. She runs for new players so the young in probably didn't know gaming etiquette. If I was the DM I would deal with it myself.

Eh - are you sure she didn't deal with it herself? She may have dealt with it and told it as an anecdote to the store owner, then the store owner also felt like they had to say something about it because that's what adults tend to do around kids. A kid makes a mistake and they get it from every adult who thinks they have some level of personal relationship to the kid - either in the form of making sure they know it was serious, or razzing them about it, or sometimes support for the kid cause they think the other adults are out of line. But they all feel the need to comment on it, even if they've been told that it's been settled.

Also D&D is the weird game here. If you were playing Settlers of Catan or Magic the Gathering and a new player pulled out the rulebook to look something up, you wouldn't be phased. But in D&D there's this mystique about hiding certain rules from the players because if they know the monsters stats then it impacts the game - looking in the Monster Manual is less like looking at Hoyle's Rules of Games during a card game and more like looking at the other player's cards. But new players don't know that yet - it's not like the kid was peeking at the DM's notes or something. So it's part of the training new players process to make sure they know "hey, it's poor form to do this in front of the DM - you're supposed to commit all the stats to memory away from the table and then pretend you didn't read the book when called on it. That's how we did it in the 80s."

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Most beasts and such that can be summoned are in the back of the PHB or DMG aren't they? I am sure some aren't, but IIRC I remember seeing quite a few. While I would say this is up to the DM, when I am running a game I very much discourage players from using the MM (especially during game time). Of course, I own one and always have in other editions, so as a long time player myself there is little I don't have at least some knowledge on when it comes to monsters. But to me normal table etiquette is very much against it.

However, also as a DM, you can change whatever you want. If the players think they are about to face a green dragon and prepared, having them find out it is green dragon, but his breath is corrosive like acid and not poison!, quite the monkey-wrench into their plans! Not that I've ever done that... ;)

There’s nothing wrong with looking at the MM during play. I actually assume most players memorize a fair number of monsters anyway, just because reading those books is fun.

But I can see some disruption at the table if the player is like “It should be dead! That only has 256 HP and I’ve been counting!” Which has absolutely no obligation of being true at my table, and is rather rude in the first place. I love custom monsters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases