D&D 5E New(?) Fighting Style: Tactical

Quartz

Hero
Like some of the others, this isn't bad at all, but IMO it doesn't keep in the spirit of the other fighting styles. Maybe nothing will, I don't know.

I agree. I think it works better as an alternate archetype feature for the Battlemaster, but I'm just theorycrafting.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
As the other Fighting Styles focus on weapons groups/styles or defense, I don't think a Tactician will ever be similar. It's fundamentally different as it isn't about what weapons/armor you use.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As the other Fighting Styles focus on weapons groups/styles or defense, I don't think a Tactician will ever be similar. It's fundamentally different as it isn't about what weapons/armor you use.

Very true. I had a thought of something along the line of Protection, which uses your reaction, but in an offensive fashion...

Tactical (Fighting Style)
When a creature you see that is friendly to you makes a weapon or unarmed strike attack, you can use your reaction to grant advantage on the attack roll. The creature must be able to see or hear you to gain this benefit.

I like the idea, but it sort of steps on the toes of the Battle Master's Commander's Strike.

Too OP? I am worried primarily about rogues with elven accuracy now getting more chances for sneak attacks. :(

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I was thinking also about an archetype based on Intelligence instead of a Fighting Style and found this, which I modified slightly:

Tactician

Brilliant Strategist. At 3rd level, add your Intelligence modifier to your initiative checks. You can also choose to use your Intelligence modifier on your weapon and unarmed strike attack and damage rolls instead of your Strength or Dexterity.

Commander’s Call. At 7th level, when you take the help action, you can aid a number of allies within 60 feet equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Directed Assault. At 10th level, as a bonus action, you direct an ally you can see within 60 feet to perform an attack action. That ally can use their reaction take a single attack action or move up to 15 feet on your turn. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Marshall Troops. At 15th level, any allies within 60 feet who can hear or see you gain an immediate saving throw to end any fear effect they currently suffer with a bonus equal to your Intelligence modifier. In addition, a number of allies equal to your Intelligence modifier may expend one recovery die as a reaction to regain hit points.

Decisive Tactics. At 18th level, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can instead grant the additional action to any ally you can see within 60 feet. They must use their reaction to gain this benefit and will act during your turn.

This is from Fighter Folio © 2018 Total Party Kill Games; Authors: Brian Berg, Mark A. Hart.

I like it and it works towards what I wanted to create. Does it look too good?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Very true. I had a thought of something along the line of Protection, which uses your reaction, but in an offensive fashion...

When a creature you see that is friendly to you makes a weapon or unarmed strike attack, you can use your reaction to grant advantage on the attack roll. The creature must be able to see or hear you to gain this benefit.

I like the idea, but it sort of steps on the toes of the Battle Master's Commander's Strike.

Too OP? I am worried primarily about rogues with elven accuracy now getting more chances for sneak attacks. :(

It's similar to Mastermind's Help.

Quartz

Hero

That's far too good, especially when the fighter is paired with a rogue.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That's far too good, especially when the fighter is paired with a rogue.

Is it though? In our current game, the rogue nearly always gets to use his sneak attack. I mean, literally, nearly every-single-round. If the fighter and rogue are already engaged with the same enemy, the rogue is already getting sneak attack.

What about the archetype I posted? Thoughts on that?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I had considered a Leading Attack... which allowed one to probe for openings or induce openings in the enemy so that subsequent attacks could make use of the revealed opening. Whether the attack was yours or someone elses. Once the opening was exploited it went away. So you could make it a pretty big benefit I wasnt thinking advantage though. The other fighting styles give advantage on the attack they make every time.

I keep thinking to bring an Intelligence (investigation) check into the picture. It is probably not appropriate for a fighting style. But trading an attack to gain a superiority die along with a successful check really brings home the idea of brains used to find openings.

Remove ads