D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Getting Republished in Combined Anniversary Volume

So, WotC is re-releasing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat in a combined volume, with a special cover, re-edited based on feedback, on October 22nd.

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 23.12.50.png

From ComicBook.com -- "The new Tyranny of Dragons volume will update the adventures by incorporating feedback to smooth out the curve for new players, while adding resources previously only available online and adding never-before-seen concept art. In addition, Tyranny of Dragons will have a new cover designed by Hydro74, depicting Tiamat in all of her five-headed glory."

The adventures are known as being very tough - it sounds like the challenge is being lowered a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

pogre

Legend
Weird: edited, thanks.

No problem.

So, this Adventure Path has a fairly poor reputation. I was wondering if the core ideas are good and the additional material might make it decent? Or perhaps there are parts of Tyranny you really enjoyed that are worth stealing?

Honest questions - I did not buy the originals. Just looking for opinions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No problem.

So, this Adventure Path has a fairly poor reputation. I was wondering if the core ideas are good and the additional material might make it decent? Or perhaps there are parts of Tyranny you really enjoyed that are worth stealing?

Honest questions - I did not buy the originals. Just looking for opinions.

There were two main issues, in my opinion: splitting the AP between two books, and the incomplete encounter guidelines leading to big trouble (Hoardnof the Dragon Queen wanted to push the players a bit, but ended up being crazy swingy). This volume can easily solve both issues, making the story easier and more entertaining to run. The books consist of a series of fairly disparate episodes, many of which are pretty excellent (I like the mummy tomb, the Black Dragons Castle, the Hunting lodge, the White Dragon's iceburg lair and the flying Cloud Giant castle) and easy to lift and repurpose outside of the frame story, so I'd recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I will be running this campaign starting in september, but will replace part of the first levels with Dragon Heist (the cult will take the treasure at the end of the adventure). This one is a insta-buy for me.

I think it's a terrific campaign. There were some potential balance issues (especially in the first adventure), and some folk felt the first book was a bit linear (I disagree), but otherwise it is a fun book.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases