OD&D So where did Basic D&D end up?

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
My experience with Basic D&D was pretty limited. Old red book, black boxed set, Rules Cyclopedia. My group eschewed it very quickly for AD&D once we could discern the difference between them. I'm a pretty huge Mystara fan, though and I've always been curious what Basic D&D ended up looking like by the end of the line. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that by the end it looked a lot like AD&D--still "race as class" but also elf magic-users etc. Is there somewhere online or a Basic D&D book of some kind that details the line's endgame? Thanks in advance.

Zardnaar

Legend
Rules Cyclopedia is essentially its final form. The last BECMI product came out 1994 iic and the line was canceled 1996 iirc.

Zardnaar

Legend
The clones have been around for 15 odd years give or take.

He might not have been talking about them or it may be a B/X and AD&D mashup.

Shiroiken

Legend
Guess what I heard was false then.
Not necessarily. The original purpose of Basic D&D was a simple introduction for new/young gamers. After they played levels 1-3, they'd have an idea of how the game worked and could transition into either OD&D or AD&D. However, many people liked the simple format of Basic, so they created Expert as a way to allow people to continue that format for more levels. Eventually it expanded out with Companion, Master, and finally Immortal, becoming a product line of its own, and realistically replacing OD&D. By the time the Rules Cyclopedia came about, the entirety of the system was almost as complicated a system as core AD&D was.

ccs

41st lv DM
Christmas 1980-'82 we played Basic, then added Expert.
Sometime in '82 we began blending in AD&D.
In '83 we'd moved to almost completely AD&D rules & using assorted B/E modules. Now & then we'd play a "Basic" game (meaning B/E).
1984 - the Companion set arrives. We play a bit of it with our long standing Basic characters. We use some of it's kingdom/army rules in our AD&D games.
1985 the Master set came out. We read it, but don't ever actually use it. Our games are all AD&D. Though a few of the modules have seen use over the decades since....
We never touched Immortal or Compendium beyond leafing through them. I only have those because they came in an EBay lot I bid on.

In the years since I've only played in 2 Basic games. The most recent a 7 week one shot adventure at the FLGS about 10 years back, the other a 4 hour game at one of the first GenCons I attended (about '93 I think).

So where did "Basic" ended up?
Resting in peace in a corner of my bookshelf.
All the booklets, BE/CMI, are stored in the Companion box (the Basic & Expert boxes didn't survive my childhood) right beside a copy of OD&D + a Rules Cyclopedia.

Remove ads