Zardnaar's thread about movie stats

Zardnaar

Legend
It does tons of them every year. You just don't go to see them.

I should have rephrased it to ones that make lots of money. That's what the Studios want is that next billion dollar franchise.

There's only a few like a handful that have been blockbusters (outside the MCU).

Breakeven point for big budget movies these days is around 500 million maybe 400.

So are new movies being made. Yes. Are they big blockbusters no. And that's what the studios want.

These 80s and 90s reboots are generally movies that adjusted for inflation got more than $500 million on their original run.

I'll see if I can find the article, but Inception I think was the biggest original movie in the last few years iirc.

It's not the article I read but.
https://uproxx.com/movies/movie-theater-attendance-2017/2/

Last edited:

I should have rephrased it to ones that make lots of money. That's what the Studios want is that next billion dollar franchise.

It's a good thing you said BILLION because "Us" $254 million worldwide against a budget of $20 million, Horror movies have always for the most done well with new IPs.

The Curse of La Llorona has grossed $54.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $67.3 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $122 million, against a production budget of $9 million.

Pet Sematary has grossed $54.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $57.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $112.4 million, against a production budget of $21 million

Escape Room has grossed $57 million in the United States and Canada, and $97.9 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $154.9 million, against a production budget of $9 million

Zardnaar

Legend
It's a good thing you said BILLION because "Us" $254 million worldwide against a budget of $20 million, Horror movies have always for the most done well with new IPs.

The Curse of La Llorona has grossed $54.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $67.3 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $122 million, against a production budget of $9 million.

Pet Sematary has grossed $54.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $57.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $112.4 million, against a production budget of $21 million

Escape Room has grossed $57 million in the United States and Canada, and $97.9 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $154.9 million, against a production budget of $9 million

Those are all Indy type movies. There's not a lot being made between 50 to 100 million and the big movies production costs are exceeding the cost of making all those movies you listed.

There's only been a few big budget success movies in the last decade or so outside of the MCU/DC. Inception got 800 million and iirc that was the biggest one. In 2010.

Also remember the studios only get around half of the box office take. A 200 million dollar movie needs around 500 million to break even due to marketing costs as well.

100 to 300 million dollars box office doesn't really mean much now almost a rounding error.

Exclude Inception name an original non MCU/DC movie that broke 500 million. They exist but apparently it's only a few movies since 2010.

Those are all Indy type movies. There's not a lot being made between 50 to 100 million and the big movies production costs are exceeding the cost of making all those movies you listed.

first you state Hollywood doesn't really do new movies then you quantified: ones that make lots of money. Now you say name an original non MCU/DC movie that broke 500 million.

So, I'm starting to think you're moving the goal post.

Zardnaar

Legend
first you state Hollywood doesn't really do new movies then you quantified: ones that make lots of money. Now you say name an original non MCU/DC movie that broke 500 million.

So, I'm starting to think you're moving the goal post.

Not really the article was explaining why howwood doesn't do new blockbusters and there were only something like 6 or 8 new movies outside if superhero movies that did well.

Compare with the 90s where you had lots of movies that were blockbusters and originals. I wasn't really talking about Indy movies no one really cares about that win an award at Cannes or something and then make 100 million dollars or less at the office.

They'll get a participation trophy somewhere but the public at large won't care and it will have minimal cultural impact.

ccs

41st lv DM
There's only been a few big budget success movies in the last decade or so outside of the MCU/DC. Inception got 800 million and iirc that was the biggest one. In 2010.

Exclude Inception name an original non MCU/DC movie that broke 500 million.

Frozen.
If that's not "original" enough (it is inspired by a HCA tale afterall) then Zootopia.

BTW, a quick Wiki search also says that as of this July the $500M+ club only has 206 members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-grossing_films
(I couldn't find a concise list, but I also don't care enough to keep looking)

Zardnaar

Legend
Frozen.
If that's not "original" enough (it is inspired by a HCA tale afterall) then Zootopia.

BTW, a quick Wiki search also says that as of this July the $500M+ club only has 206 members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-grossing_films
(I couldn't find a concise list, but I also don't care enough to keep looking)

As I said there's a few. Not many though. Birthday Turkish dinner+ few APAs and Efes so have a good night. Bellydancer weeee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases