D&D 5E Monsters of Time

WolfDM32

First Post
A little play on words there. But, as a DM I've used a variety of tools to come up with monsters for the current campaign. They've also been introduced to alternate locations where time flows differently, and my goal is the end boss is messing with time or can be defeated through a form of time manipulation.

However, I wanted to give characters some hints now with them starting to hit the 8th - 9th level range. I'd like to have some monsters mess with the players via time.

I use Kobold fight club and it doesn't have the option to search by monster skills or abilities? I have a fair number of the books (Mordekeins tome of foes, 5th edition Foes, Volos tome of beasts, Monster Manual, etc and a couple others I can't remember). Is there some way to find references to monsters, foes, races, etc, that have time manipulation abilities, skills, etc?

Any suggestion on how to search for something like this without paging through all the monsters and reading each one individually?

MarkB

Legend
Your best bet would probably be a Google search. Offhand, I can't think of any monsters with time manipulation abilities, beyond spellcasters with access to spells like Haste and Slow.

aco175

Legend
You could cobble something from Mechanus. That plane seems like it would mess with time. Maybe something more than modrons though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Late in 3.5Ed, Illithids were said to be from the future, and had traveled back in time to create the conditions that led to their existence. While time travel may not be a power, it could be some form of magitech.

See 12 Monkeys, the TV series as a recent for example:
12_Monkeys_EP102_ID_19.gif

Shiroiken

Legend
IIRC, there is a creature who has a lair action that affects time. I think it's up to 100 years, but I could be wrong, as I'm totally going off my (admittedly fuzzy) memory. If it's not WotC, it would be in the Tome of Beasts or Fifth Edition Foes, because those are the only two 3pp monster books I use.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Many monsters and NPCs will have time-based powers through spells. The following spells could be given as spells or powers of creatures or NPCs:
Time Stop (9th), Gental Repose (2nd), Contingency (6th), Slow (3rd), Haste (3rd)

MONSTERS WITH TIME-BASED FLAVOR AND POWERS

Gyno Sphinx and Enhanced Sphinx

Gyno: Basic Rules , pg. 348
Enhanced: Lost Laboratory of Kwalish , pg. 10

Lair Actions
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the sphinx can take a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects; the sphinx can’t use an effect again until it finishes a short or long rest:

• The flow of time is altered such that every creature in the lair must reroll initiative. The sphinx can choose not to reroll.
  • The effects of time are altered such that every creature in the lair must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become 1d20 years older or younger (the sphinx’s choice), but never any younger than 1 year old. A greater restoration spell can restore a creature’s age to normal.
  • The flow of time within the lair is altered such that everything within moves up to 10 years forward or backward (sphinx’s choice). Only the sphinx is immediately aware of the time change. A wish spell can return the caster and up to seven other creatures designated by the caster to their normal time.

Githzerai Enlightened
Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes , pg. 208

Temporal Strike (Recharge 6). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 52 (8d12) psychic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or move 1 round forward in time. A target moved forward in time vanishes for the duration. When the effect ends, the target reappears in the space it left or in an unoccupied space nearest to that space if it’s occupied.

Animated Statue
Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage , pg. 125

Can cast the 9th-level spell "time stop"

Precognitive Mage
Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica, pg. 228
Precognitive insight (3/Day) When the mage or a creature it can see makes an attack roll, a saving throw, or an ability check, the mage can cause the roll to be made with advantage or diasadvantage.

Time (Inexorable)

Strongholds and Followers, page 231

Not an official WotC book, but this is an excellent "monster of time" that you might want to consider. Its two main time-based abilities are:
The law of time. Enemies within 15 feet cannot take bonus actions or reactions.
Haste (recharge 5-6): Until the end of its next turn, Time magically gives a +2 bonus to its AC, has advantage on Dex saving throws, and can use its slam attack as a bonus action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases