Fall '03 Iron DM Tournament -- Wulf Ratbane is Iron DM!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Here's where the tournament itself will be; I'll be editing this post as time goes on. The initial signup thread (with questions about the tournament) is here.

The rules:

Simple. We get 8 people willing to play (and 3 alternates). I pair people off as competitors and give them a set of 6 "ingredients".

The ingredients are elements that must be used in the designing of a scenario/adventure - which should be written up in overview form - players can be as specific as they like - but detailed stat-blocks and the like are not weighed as heavily as uniqueness and playability of the ideas.

The results are then judged by me and the winner moves on to the next round. . .

So, once we have the 8 players (and alternates), I will pair people up based on availability. Players will have 24 hours from the posting of the ingredients to post their entry, which should give plenty of time for someone who is not immediately around when the ingredients are posted to get their entry done. Once you have posted an entry, YOU MAY NOT EDIT YOUR POST. Doing so will cause you to automatically forfeit the round, no matter how excellent your entry was.

Obviously, if your opponent posts an entry before you do, you are on your honor not to peek.

There is no limit on the length of a scenario, but keep in mind that giving too much information is almost as dangerous as giving too little. If you bore me, I'll give the round to your opponent.

As usual, we ask that those not involved in a round not post any suggestions or ideas about the posted ingredients.

The Iron DM is a grueling competition, with hard as nails judges (expect to have your scenario picked apart).
The contestants:
Nemmerle
Dave Turner
Nifft
Wicht
Macbeth
Rune
Mythago
Cool Hand Luke

The alternates:
Lightful
Wulf Ratbane
humble minion
Berandor

Matches so far:
Dave Turner vs. Nemmerle -- Nemmerle wins!
Wicht vs. Nifft -- Wicht wins!
Rune vs. Macbeth -- Rune wins!
Mythago vs. Cool Hand Luke -- Cool Hand Luke screws up the deadline and forfeits, and is replaced by Wulf Ratbane -- Wulf Ratbane wins!
Wulf Ratbane is the Champion!
Daniel

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Come on, Come on

I have a boring corporate meeting at 1 - and I need something to do to diminish the desire to kill my boss with a stapler.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
First round: Dave Turner vs. Nemmerle!

Your ingredients are:
Funeral
Insane Unicorn
Shadow Mastiff
Broken Teeth
Slow transformation
Betrayal

You have 24 hours from the time-stamp on this post to turn in your entry. Remember, editing after you've posted results in disqualification -- do your spellchecking first, and use the preview button.

Good luck!
Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Okay, a couple more questions.

First, would a mod (Nem, maybe?) be willing to go back to the last thread and correct my link to this thread? It went all funky, and now that the thread is closed, I can't fix it.

Second, Wulf requested a field of sixteen instead of eight. I can handle that, but I'll only do it if I get unanimous consent from all current players.

What say you guys?
Daniel

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pielorinho said:

First, would a mod (Nem, maybe?) be willing to go back to the last thread and correct my link to this thread? It went all funky, and now that the thread is closed, I can't fix it.

Second, Wulf requested a field of sixteen instead of eight. I can handle that, but I'll only do it if I get unanimous consent from all current players.

What say you guys?
Daniel

I can take care of the link.

My concern with 16 is that it would take too long to finish - and while I may have time to compete for the next week or so. . . the further it goes the more likely that work will begin to pile up again and scheduling rounds will be increasingly more difficult.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Pielorinho said:

What say you guys?
Daniel

The tournament will drag on for much longer, if you do that. Your call though, as far as I'm concerned. I'd only do it if I knew I had the alternates already. On the other hand, I've never had a chance to test my mettle against Wulf... (Nor, Nemm, for that matter, but he's already in.)

By the way, if you want to do a second one today, I'm good to go.

Dave Turner

First Post
nemmerle said:
My concern with 16 is that it would take too long to finish - and while I may have time to compete for the next week or so. . . the further it goes the more likely that work will begin to pile up again and scheduling rounds will be increasingly more difficult.
This is my fear as well. :(

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Thanks for fixing the link. And that takes care of the "unanimous consent" thing -- sorry, Wulf! If anyone has other ideas for alternate activities, I'm open to hearing them.

I'd like to not do rounds simultaneously: when reading the tournaments, I find it confusing to read simultaneous rounds. So there's always going to be only one round happening. As much as possible, I'd like it to be about one round per day. I'll post a space-saver post after both round entries appear, and slot my judgement into that post later, so that readers can follow along more easily; once I've made a judgement, I'll post again telling folks to go back and find the judgement. (Hope that makes sense -- when it happens, it should be pretty clear).

Daniel

Remove ads