Starting Level

BryonD

Hero
I'm planning to start up my first D20 modern campaign soon.

My general plan is a fairly vanilla flavor, similiar to what I have seen discussed several times before: an x-files-y, dash of call of chthulu, modern-day "real" world game where the characters can evolve into larger than life heroes.

My first assumption was to start the characters at level 1. But as I work along, L1 characters seem to be really weak. So I am thinking that perhaps I should start at more like 3rd or 5th.

What has been the experience of people who have already been playing? Does L1/L2 work ok?

For reference, I've pretty much always started D&D at L1, and I've never had any problem with it. So it isn't really a low power thing. It is just that the lack of ability APPEARS to me to be more prominent in D20 modern.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well I started (and actually ended) at 1st level. It didn't really bother me, but I didn't expect much out of the characters than running, screaming, and outsmarting a monster.

If you're expecting the characters to be established and have some ability with weapons and/or special abilities of note, I'd suggest 3rd level. Maybe 2nd.

--fje

Erratic K

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Well I started (and actually ended) at 1st level. It didn't really bother me, but I didn't expect much out of the characters than running, screaming, and outsmarting a monster.

If you're expecting the characters to be established and have some ability with weapons and/or special abilities of note, I'd suggest 3rd level. Maybe 2nd.

--fje

My players loved the low level lethality. The first reason was, they got guns. The second is they are the types that like to restart at first level often. They like the 1-5th level survival fest in D&D so the D20 Modern low levels really appeal. Besides they really freak when they make 3rd and 4th level (feats and stats man, feats and stats).

-E

jonrog1

First Post
BryonD said:
Thanks

I'll stay with the plan and start at 1

Consider level 2. Having run a few of these things, that little buffer of hit points and extra feat don't make everybody extra powerful but do get the survival rate up past an hour.

BryonD

Hero
jonrog1 said:
Consider level 2. Having run a few of these things, that little buffer of hit points and extra feat don't make everybody extra powerful but do get the survival rate up past an hour.

AHHHHHH!!!!

I was all decided and now you've gone and made me conflicted again!!!!

Just kidding.

Thanks for the input.

I'm actually thinking I will go for a middle option.
Start at L1 but make the first session fairly non-deadly. Then, instead of dealing with XP the first time, just declare everyone L2 at the end.

olethros

First Post
level and age

Actually, I remember seeing a chart somewhere in the d20M main book that states age to level equivalents. Something like:
teenager-1st level
late teens-2nd level
unexperienced adult- 3rd level
etc.

It's in the d20M book, I just looked at it the other day.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've had my first d20M adventure and the DM started all of us at 1st level. Nonetheless we were all effective characters, and when a final fight came up with what I think were zombies and also some other, uh, horrific thing (it really works not giving names to stuff!) we managed OK with our guns. The situation was far less deadly than a typical 1st level D&D party adventure, and loads of fun.

olethros

First Post
olethros said:
Actually, I remember seeing a chart somewhere in the d20M main book that states age to level equivalents. Something like:
teenager-1st level
late teens-2nd level
unexperienced adult- 3rd level
etc.

It's in the d20M book, I just looked at it the other day.

Table 1-10, page 35.

Cheers.

Remove ads