Dark Sun conversion - divine spell lists

ciaran00

Explorer
Staffan said:
The lack of high-level elemental spells is mostly due to converting most of the spells straight from 2e, where there were no 8th and 9th level priest spells (ignoring psionic enchantments). The same goes for the lack of 0-level elemental spells. The most annoying hole though is the lack of 7th-level Water spells. Nevertheless, while I find this annoying I don't find it disastrous, because they can always fill the slots with spells from the core lists.
I still haven't figured a way around the lack of spells for Dark Sun clerics at high level. TSR had badly neglected these spell lists, and any revisions, etc published later failed to rectify this lack. One thing I am considering doing is opening up elemental Al-Qadim wizard spells to these clerics, but that hits the balance issue. I would be interested to hear about some of your solutions... I haven't hit high level yet, so I guess I still have time.

ciaran

Staffan

Legend
ciaran00 said:
One thing I am considering doing is opening up elemental Al-Qadim wizard spells to these clerics, but that hits the balance issue.
That's a pretty neat idea. I'll have to look into that. I did try looking at the domain lists, but they all had elemental swarm as their 9th level spell, and I included that in the core lists.

Ooh! I know... or at least I have an idea. When I get home so I can check my Oriental Adventures book, I'll take a look at the shugenja (elementally flavored spontaneous divine caster) spell list and see if I can steal some stuff from there.

And some revisions that have occured to me: Drop miracle, because the elemental patrons of the cleric don't take action that directly. Also, perhaps I should spell out (no pun intended) the templar core list separately, because there are quite a few spells that are on the cleric list that templars shouldn't have. The ones that came to mind just now are the Planar Ally spells - templars gain their powers from sorcerer-kings, and sorcerer-kings don't have Planar Allies they can send to their templars.

Staffan

Legend
Alas, no fun with the shugenja. Their high-level spells were either already on the cleric list, or were mainly wizard spells (the shugenja basically has the role of *both* cleric and wizard in OA). Some of their lower-level spells could work, though.

Staffan

Legend
Though I did find some neat elemental spells in Magic of Faerun, one or two in Relics & Rituals, and I'll be scanning through the Books of Eldritch/Hallowed Might next.

Remove ads