Confirmed: D&D Online in Eberron!

Drengy

Explorer
Dunno if this has been confirmed before, but the following interview with the lead designer of D&D Online (due in 2005) mentions that Eberron is the setting for the game. Very interesting and a good way to differentiate a bit from all the other high fantasy MMORPGs inspired by D&D.

http://mmo.egcore.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1121

Check out the whole interview, gives me hope for the game, and has officially put it on my "watch list."

Last edited:

2d6

A Natural 12
Drengy said:
Dunno if this has been confirmed before, but the following interview with the lead designer of D&D Online (due in 2005) mentions that Eberron is the setting for the game. Very interesting and a good way to differentiate a bit from all the other high fantasy MMORPGs inspired by D&D.

http://mmo.egcore.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1121

Check out the whole interview, gives me hope for the game, and has officially put it on my "watch list."

I figured this would happen, and in the end I don't think the setting will matter that much, sure people will rejoice or whine, but they would anyway. I'm worried about the rule-set though. I really, really hope it doesn't end up a PvP based game that requires your 80 closest friends be available to do anything cool.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I have no intrest in a DnD MMORPG, you can pay what will probibly be 10-15 dollars a month for the right to play a game you paid for in the store, or you can play Neverwinter nights online for free. With the right players and DM, NWN online will be better then anyother MMORPG.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Also figured this would happen and a long time coming. While NWN is good it is not a world, only modules. While the paying is an issue, it is one that seems to been overcome, people are willing to pay and it is a growing market, the internet was once free but more and more it is moving to a service industry.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Hand of Evil said:
people are willing to pay

I'm not willing to pay, if you have to pay extra to play a game online I will not play it. Lets see, I go to the store, pay $30.00- $60.00 US for a game, then I have to pay more money each month just for the right to play a game I already paid for? People try to tell me its server costs, upkeep, ect. But Blizzard has been running battle net for years at no extra cost to the player, you can play BF1942, UT2003, JK2, NWN and countless other games online at no extra cost to you, why spend extra money just for the privlege of playing a game online becuse the company that made it says so.
I did play Everquest, all it was was you start from your starting area and kill things, moving further away as you level up to fight tougher monster, no roleplaying whatsoever. I have a better roleplay experence with a DM and the right group of players with Neverwinter Nights. You can do more the one modules with the same characters.

Alcareru

First Post
KenM said:
I'm not willing to pay, if you have to pay extra to play a game online I will not play it. Lets see, I go to the store, pay $30.00- $60.00 US for a game, then I have to pay more money each month just for the right to play a game I already paid for? People try to tell me its server costs, upkeep, ect. But Blizzard has been running battle net for years at no extra cost to the player, you can play BF1942, UT2003, JK2, NWN and countless other games online at no extra cost to you, why spend extra money just for the privlege of playing a game online becuse the company that made it says so.
I did play Everquest, all it was was you start from your starting area and kill things, moving further away as you level up to fight tougher monster, no roleplaying whatsoever. I have a better roleplay experence with a DM and the right group of players with Neverwinter Nights. You can do more the one modules with the same characters.

Just to put my two unsolicited cents in. First of all MMORPGs arent about roleplaying. They are pretty MUDS, about socializing since in the game what you do is relatively simplistic. They also demand a large investment of time.

As for the costs- servers, upkeep etc that does cost money. You cant compare a game like Everquest with BF1942 or Unreal since Everquest lives on a server with a lot of simaltaneous users -most online shooters are more peer to peer. Blizzard.net is also more similar to the latter and is financed with ads.

This isnt a slam against those how hate MMORPGs. But they are a different animal. I just cringe whenever the economic excuse is brought up. I understand that the charge may be economically high for alot of people, but I think its unfair to characterize it as some sort of racket. And although I persoanlly think the monthly price charge is set a bit high in genral, comparing Everquest and NWN is comparing apples to oranges.

Maraxle

First Post
The part I don't like is having to pay $50 for the game, and then the monthly fee to play it. I would gladly pay one or the other, but not both. I did the beta test of Asheron's Call back in the day, and enjoyed it, but not enough to pay $80 to play it for the 3 or 4 months that games generally interest me for ($50 for the software and first month, $10 for each of the other 3 months). However, when a few years later I found it for $10 in the bargain bin, I picked it up and played it for 3 or 4 months.

Edit: As for playing in Eberron, even if it were free it wouldn't interest me much.

Last edited:

CrusaderX

First Post
I don't know enough about Eberron to make a judegment on the setting because, well, nobody knows enough about Eberron to make a judgement on the setting. But I for one am keeping an open mind about it.

KenM

Banned
Banned
CrusaderX said:
I don't know enough about Eberron to make a judegment on the setting because, well, nobody knows enough about Eberron to make a judgement on the setting. But I for one am keeping an open mind about it.

I agree with you. Not enough info on the new setting is out yet to make a decsion on to play in it. WOTC and whatever company is putting out DnD online is taking a big risk setting it in a place that no one know. it could pay off big for them, or no one will like it.
I'm still not going to play DnD online because I refuse to pay extra money for the right to play a game I paid for in the store.

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
I would like to see the finished product, but I wouldn't buy it or pay to play. I have come to loathe mmorpg's, they are time sinks and strip people away from friends and things like, oh, I don't know, pen and paper games. If I play an online game, it is going to be like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN's or something similar, that has a plot for when everybody says, "spouse calling, gotta fire up Mechwarrior, or our guild is under attack!".

Now, to be fair, I will play if somebody else is paying for it. I have a friend who spends all his time on the new Star Wars Galaxies and on occasion when he's logged out to watch a DVD, he'll let me fire up the game and work on a character, but that is different as I'm socializing with a real person in the room at the same time.

Remove ads