Good standalone fantasy fiction

CCamfield

First Post
If this thread gets folded in with the one about the state of fantasy, so be it. I figured this was a distinct enough topic that it might be worth starting a separate one.

Here's a bunch of standalone fantasy novels I've really enjoyed:

The Tower At Stony Wood, by Patricia McKillip
Ombria in Shadow, ditto
City of Bones, Martha Wells
The Death of the Necromancer, ditto
The Tower of Fear, Glen Cook
Bridge of Birds, Barry Hughart. (Cheating maybe? There are two sequels, but the book does stand on its own as a complete story.)

I'm sure I'll be able to think of more tomorrow.

Michael Tree

First Post
Tigana, Lions of Al Rassan, and A Song for Arbonne, by Guy Gavriel Kay

Jack of Shadows and Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny. (The Chronicles of Amber can also be considered a standalone book. Although it was originally published as 5 books, it's a single coherent storyline, and at about 500 pages is shorter than many single books.

Jhereg and The Phonenix Guards, by Steven Brust (They're technically part of serieses, but they're entirely self-contained, and stand up well on their own rights)

The Drawing of the Dark and The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers

Stardust, Neverwhere, and American Gods, by Neil Gaiman

Edit: Changed Five Hundred Years After to The Phoenix Guards

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
CCamfield said:
Bridge of Birds, Barry Hughart. (Cheating maybe? There are two sequels, but the book does stand on its own as a complete story.)
It may be cheating, but it's the first book that came to my mind too, when I tried to think of a good, standalone fantasy book.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear (originally published as two paperbacks, but now sold as one.

Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

CCamfield

First Post
Michael Tree said:
Tigana, Lions of Al Rassan, and A Song for Arbonne, by Guy Gavriel Kay

Jack of Shadows and Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny.

I'd call Lord of Light science fiction, actually, or science fantasy. But both are really good books (I prefer LoL myself).

Jhereg and Five Hundred Years After, by Steven Brust (They're technically part of serieses, but they're entirely self-contained, and stand up well on their own rights)

Still, I think people would be better starting with The Phoenix Guards rather than Five Hundred Years After.

Some more:

Nobody's Son, by Sean Stewart
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Someplace To Be Flying, by Charles de Lint

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases