Fighter / Sorcerer Spell list

Crazy Monkey

First Post
I'm working on a fighter / sorcerer type warrior. He will be a fighter who uses spells to increase his combat ability.

I'm planning for him to have acsess to 9th level spells and a decent bab. I'm not sure on class combination yet. I want to pick out his spells for a 18th level sorcerer equivilant though.

So far I have =

Level 1
True Strike
Magic Missile
Shield
Enlarge Person

Level 2
False Life (Tome + Blood)
Saddism (BoVD)

Level 3
Fly
Protection From Elements
Haste
Vampiric Touch

Level 4
Stone Skin
Improved Invisibility
Explosive Cascade
Fire shield

Level 5
Teleport
Wall of Force

Level 6
*Greater Dispelling

Level 7
Spell Turning
Limited Wish

Level 8
Polymorph Any Object

Level 9
Time Stop

Spellcasting is used mainly to buff himself up, I'm not trying to be a utility mage or anything so I'm looking for combat useful spells. Any advice?

Pax

Banned
Banned
If you have CW ... I strongly suggest going with the Hexblade, instead of a multiclass. ^_^

As a Fighter/Sorceror, unless you hit epic levels, you will not see 8th and 9th level spells ... and have enough Fighter levels to be worth bothering with.

Shayuri

First Post
Pax said:
If you have CW ... I strongly suggest going with the Hexblade, instead of a multiclass. ^_^

As a Fighter/Sorceror, unless you hit epic levels, you will not see 8th and 9th level spells ... and have enough Fighter levels to be worth bothering with.

Unless, of course, he's actually an Eldritch Knight...

But okay. I'll limit myself to the 3.5e core books.

Level 1
True Strike
Magic Missile
Shield
Enlarge Person

-- Consider either Chill Touch or Ray of Enfeeblement? Chill Touch is nice due to the multiple touches it allows. RoE is a wonderful saveless spell that can really help soften up a foe before entering melee.

Level 2
False Life (Tome + Blood)
Saddism (BoVD)

-- Acid Arrow is a good no-save, no-SR ranged spell. Glitterdust is an excellent multi-use spell as well...I definitely recommend taking either it or See Invisible at level 2. Additionally, take a peek at Touch of Idiocy. And if you're not gonna get Displacement at level 3, then definitely get Blur... Finally, Alter Self is a great spell for the level, offering quite a bit of versatility.

Level 3
Fly
Protection From Elements
Haste
Vampiric Touch

-- Not much to add here, though I'd take Overland Flight over regular Fly. Sure it's slower and clumsier...but it lasts ALL DAY. One less buff to cast on the spot! And you can replace Fly on this list with Displacement, or Blink.

Level 4
Stone Skin
Improved Invisibility
Explosive Cascade
Fire shield

-- Stoneskin is questionable for a sorceror, mainly due to the exorbitant material component cost. If you didn't take Alter Self, then Polymorph is probably the strongest choice here. If you did, then perhaps either Dimensional Anchor (to stop your prey from escaping you) or Dimension Door (to escape).

Level 5
Teleport
Wall of Force

-- Meh. Personally, I favor Greater Teleport over Teleport. Maybe that's just me though. Wall of Force isn't bad. Don't overlook Interposing Hand though. Can be quite useful against a particular badass foe. Feeblemind gives you some punch against pesky fellow casters. Or perhaps Summon Monster V, for a good friend when you most need it?

Level 6
*Greater Dispelling

-- So far, so good. For a "melee" mage, I also suggest Antimagic Field. The great equalizer on the battlefield. Analyze Dweomer is also tempting...but of course, the REAL spell to cast is Transformation. Buff yourself, then Transformation into a combat monster! Check out Greater Heroism too.

Level 7
Spell Turning
Limited Wish

-- We like Greater Teleport here. But assuming not... Ethereal Jaunt can provide a safe haven to buff for a few rounds and a way to sneak up on your foes however secure their hiding place be. Spell Turning gives enemy casters an unpleasant surprise. Or, if you didn't take an earlier version of Summon Monster...SM7 gives you some great options. Celestial Elephants, Djinn and huge elementals! Oh my!

Level 8
Polymorph Any Object

-- We suggest either Mind Blank or Moment of Prescience here.

Level 9
Time Stop

-- Weeeeelll...it's a REALLY good spell for buffing. I shan't say otherwise. However, if you haven't taken alter self or polymorph already, then give SERIOUS consideration to Shapechange. It's pretty nuts. :)

For the classes go the way to get 9th level spells is: fighter 1 sorcerer 8 spellsword 1 eldrich knight 10 , your bab will be will be 16, and your CL 18. Some usefull spells: LV 9 - Shapechage is the best one, time stop is usefull because it gives you time to buff but you need shapechange, LV8 - mindblank, LV7 - energy immunity and greater arcane sight, LV 6 - disintegrate (even if only to destroy wall of forces and similar effects and true sight.

It assumes you are using the 3.5e....

Crazy Monkey

First Post
The build will be something like the one Serial mentioned. Although I could possibly throw in levels of havoc mage (no 9th level spells then :( )
I'm still debating the Havoc mage levels though.

Notes

We use a base 3.0 rule set, but can pull spells / feats / prestige classes etc from 3.5 with dm aproval.

I'm not a big fan of polymorph - I just can't picture my suave arcane swordsman with nasty troll skin and claws, not that its usefulness is unknown to me.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Have you shown your DM Arcane Strike from Complete Warrior yet? If its allowed, ome of your higher level slots can actually be more utility oriented. For instance, Mordenkainen's Mansion almost gurantees that the party will never be attacked while they sleep.

Eldragon

First Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 3.5 spell Enlarge Person is REALLY bad. Its more like a curse than a buff. Sure you get +2 STR and reach, but you also suffer -1 to attacks, -1 to AC AND -2 to DEX. So you are basically giving up 2 AC to do 1 more damage. I would much rather have Expeditious Retreat or Spider Climb.

Since you are using 3.0 a good tactic for the Fighter/Sorc is to use True Strike, Expeditious Retreat and Shield with Spring Attack. Spring In, Hit target, spring back. Enemies must move over to you to attack. Two Advantages with that. One, they dont get a full attack action, two, Its much harder to get behind your shield spell.

I also Like using Invis as one of my 2nd level spells. The Fighter/Sorc is very strong when prepared for combat, but as good as dead when caught unaware. Invis lets you get out of the fight and cast those all-important buff spells.

Darklone

Eldragon said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 3.5 spell Enlarge Person is REALLY bad. Its more like a curse than a buff. Sure you get +2 STR and reach, but you also suffer -1 to attacks, -1 to AC AND -2 to DEX. So you are basically giving up 2 AC to do 1 more damage. I would much rather have Expeditious Retreat or Spider Climb.
You're wrong ;)
Reach helps a lot, you're better at tripping and grappling and protecting buddies (though stay out of confined spaces). And your weapon size increase helps with the damage (longsword does 2d6 damage when you're large).

My PCs usually love the spell. One of them used it to pick up a fallen buddy and get him out of battle, another one loves to combine it with Whirlwind attacks... and takes advantage of his widely increased threatening area for Cleaves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases