[psionics] Domination / Lesser Domination issues

Davelozzi

Explorer
According to the SRD, these powers appear identical, unless I'm missing something:

Lesser Domination
Telepathy (Cha) [Compulsion, Mind-Affecting, Language-Dependent]
Level: Psion 3
Display: Me
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid of Medium-size or smaller
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7
The manifester can control the actions of any humanoid of Medium-size or smaller with who the manifester shares a common language. The manifester establishes a telepathic link with the subject’s mind. The manifester can generally force the subject to perform as he or she desires, within the limits of the subject’s abilities. The manifester knows what the subject is experiencing but does not receive direct sensory input from him or her.

Subjects resist this control, and those forced to take actions against their natures receive a new saving throw with a bonus of +1 to +4, depending on the type of action required. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as the manifester and subject are on the same plane. The manifester need not see the subject to control it.
Protection from evil or a similar spell or power can prevent the manifester from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so warded, but it does not prevent the establishment of domination or negate it.

Domination
Telepathy (Cha) [Compulsion, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion 4
Display: Me
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid of Medium-size or smaller
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7
The manifester can control the actions of any humanoid of Medium-size or smaller. The manifester establishes a telepathic link with the subject’s mind. If the manifester and the subject share a common language, the manifester can generally force the subject to perform as he or she desires, within the limits of the subject’s abilities. If no common language is shared, the manifester can only communicate basic commands. The manifester knows what the subject is experiencing but does not receive direct sensory input from him or her.

Subjects resist this control, and those forced to take actions against their natures receive a new saving throw with a bonus of +1 to +4, depending on the type of action required. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as the manifester and subject are on the same plane. The manifester need not see the subject to control it.
Protection from evil or a similar spell or power can prevent the manifester from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so warded, but it does not prevent the establishment of domination or negate it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume that this is an error, and it's my guess that the info above actually applies to Domination, not Lesser Domination. But I don't have my PsiHB with me. Does anyone know what the differences are off the top of their head? Or if anyone has the correct definition typed up and handy, that'd be even better.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
IIRC the lesser version is limitd to u to 7 hit dice for the target. That's a pretty big if though. I'm pretty sure the lesser version is imited in hit dice though.

Davelozzi

Explorer
DiaBoLuS said:
So Domination is not language dependent but lesser is?

Good point, I hadn't noticed that distinction. So maybe the text descriptions are correct as written. At any rate, there's definately an error in the stats at the top, as Lesser Domination is only a third level power and should cost only 5 power points to manifest.

Also, welcome to the boards, Diab. That makes two of my players active here on the same day -- certainly a record.

Spatula

Explorer
The only difference between the two is the language dependancy. If the manifester and the target don't share a common language, Lesser Domination does not work. There's no HD limit.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I'm home now and have checked the book. Spatula is of course correct - thanks!

The thing that I find intersting though, is that the book still lists 7 PP for Lesser Domination (3rd level) and it hasn't been corrected in the official errata, although I still assume that it's a mistake.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Alright, here's a related question for my fellow DMs. The description says that "subjects resist the control". Do you interpret this to mean that the victims are obviously controlled, like a puppet, or do you think that as long as they don't break the hold by making their will save, they'd appear more or less nonchalant in their actions?

Spatula

Explorer
Interesting question. Isn't there a use of the Sense Motive skill that allows a character to notice that someone is mind-controlled? Or maybe that only applies to charms. I suppose it's up to the DM but even if it would be obvious, a clever dominator could order the target to 'act normal at all times.'

I would say that the domination is only obvious when the target is ordered to do something that would allow for another save (as outlined in the spell/power description).

Remove ads