Do you care?

randomling

First Post
I've been gaming for two and a half years or so, and in that time, I've played a number of characters, and had a number of characters die. In general, I look at a character death as an opportunity to use one of my other interesting character concepts and get out my lucky (or not-so-lucky) 4d6. Not a problem.

The Midnight game I play in, though, has been the first time I've had the opportunity to start a character from first level. Jez, my Quickened fighter/barbarian, is the first character I've been really attached to - I've put a lot of work into her, planning her future both mechanically and in terms of character development, probably more than any previous character that I've played. And in last night's session, she was almost killed, and ended up captured by the Bad Guys. As we left it, Jez and her companion/sister-in-arms Zana are in deep trouble, and may not survive the next session.

For the first time, I'm really upset at the prospect of losing my PC. :(

So how much do other people care when their PC dies? Have you had specific characters that you were particularly sad to lose?

the Jester

Legend
Oh, I care, but death is part of the game. It's a bummer to lose a well-developed character- but it happens, and I don't let it spoil my fun!

Some of the ones whose deaths have hurt the most-

Vatharath (my 2e doppleganger)- died foolishly, foolishly- more fool me- coulda avoided it, but got arrogant and stupid- aargh!! At least he died in character.

Drendlin (my first 3e pc!)- she died fighting a flesh golem, and had almost taken it out!! Ah, the perils of a 6 Wis...

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
It's been so long since I actually played rather than DM'ed that I can't remember what it's like to have a character, much less lose one. :\

I'm always torn between trying a new concept and seeing my PC go up in levels. Lately, with the many, many character deaths I've suffered through, I'm starting to adopt a very frivolous attitude towards the many characters I've had to roll up. Can't say that this attitude is a positive one.

I have a couple of long-term characters, but they have died often as well, and have always come back without many problems (except, of course, the loss of level and sometimes equipment), so they don't feel really special anymore. Why should I really care if they die, since they get raise without a problem?

I hope I can find a character that I can really get attached to. My favorite amongst my many actual characters (the fact that I play in a multitude of campaigns probably doesn't help) is Zako Villipend, a Rogue/Barbarian. He has died once (and has been brought back), but because it was due to an important sacrifice on behalf of another character, his tie is stronger to the other characters and to the game.

AR

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
I care a lot. If I don't have a back-up character in advance, I tend to be slightly stunned, character-wise, until I get a chance to focus on a new concept.

randomling

First Post
This is a Midnight game, so there is no raising if I die. Unless of course I come back as a Fell, in which case we have an interesting moment, because my best friend would probably have to kill me the second time around. :)

I shall miss Jez if she dies, but the sad thing is not so much losing the character, but knowing that I won't feel so inclined to put the same amount of effort into the next one.

Chupacabra

First Post
I almost lost my current PC the other night. He foolishly stuck his hand into something that turned out to be a very, very large Mimic. Said critter engulfed my character then began to swim away with him. I started at full hitpoints but was losing about 1/3 of them per round. As the events were unfolding I was kinda sanguine about his impending death: I didn't want ot lose a character I was fond of, but would have died doing what he liked to do: going after treasure.

I was already mentally rolling up my next PC when lo and behold I made a lucky STR check and broke free from the creature, who continued to swim away.

Would I have cared about losing my character? Yeah, for about 10 minutes, until I started filling out the Stat Blocks for my next one.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I've got to have played a character for a while before I get that attached to them, but I have got upset (in a sad way, not angry) before when a favoured character bit the dust. But I'm always back with a new character.

I care a lot when I lose a character...when I DM, the PCs usually take it fairly tough. Everyone in my group has this habit of really getting attached to our characters. It makes the game all the more fun, though, because the players are very cautious and actually WILL retreat and come back later when they're ready to fight.

Darklone

I do care. For some characters more, for some less... but there's a favorite character in my favorite game for which I cared a lot.

Remove ads