Help with Dwarven Paladin Mount

CrusadeDave

First Post
I'm DMing a Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, based in the Forgotten Realms, and I have a first time player joining my party, desiring to play a Dwarven Paladin, focusing on Mounted Combat. He'll be entering the campaign at level 7.

For those of you familiar with the adventure, he'll be introduced to the party as they walk into Rastor for the first time.

He and I are having problems coming up with a type of mount for him. We have pictures of Gimli falling off his horse in LotR:tTT, so I'm looking for some different options. Maybe a Ram? A Pack Lizard?

Or is a Dwarven Paladin's prefered mount a Heavy War Horse?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I've used dwarves mounted on goats and sheep, wild boars, wolves and bears. Bears are, to be honest, the most fun :)

Nothing beats the Dire Lion. Unfortunately, that won't come on line for another level for him. However, the Beard and Mane thing would work well - both taking extreme pride in their grooming. Lizards, boars and bears just lack the extra style and panache offered by the Dire Lion.

The griffon would be interesting but aerial stuff from a Dwarven Paladin just seems slightly improbable. However, I suppose a mount should reflect the personality of the Paladin and the deity followed. Use this as your best guide.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Herremann the Wise said:
Nothing beats the Dire Lion. Unfortunately, that won't come on line for another level for him. However, the Beard and Mane thing would work well - both taking extreme pride in their grooming. Lizards, boars and bears just lack the extra style and panache offered by the Dire Lion.

Well, top of the wish list for me would be a Bulette. They burrow, makes sense. Ankheg might work, too-- you'd be able to afford it a lot sooner.

For a high-mountain dwelling dwarf, one who's doing the "out on patrol" thing, I think you could make an argument for a flyer like a griffon or a giant eagle.

(Cave) Bear is probably the easiest choice. I know for a fact that you can get some cool "Dwarf on Bear" miniatures out there.

Does this guy rock on toast, or what?!?
http://www.reapermini.com/store/files/storeimages/2385.jpg

(I like the handy diagram. a=dwarf, b=bear. Got that?)

And hey, you can get the "Not currently kicking ass, but ready to at any moment..." version:

http://www.reapermini.com/store/files/storeimages/2294.jpg

Nothing beats hot-swapping your miniatures when the DM says "Roll for initiative!"

So really the choice depends on how important miniatures are to your group. (Me, I never make a character unless I can get or convert a cool mini before I roll the first die...)

Wulf

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Herremann the Wise said:
The griffon would be interesting but aerial stuff from a Dwarven Paladin just seems slightly improbable.
I disagree. Ever since Warcraft II was released, the image of griffon-mounted dwarves throwing electrified returning warhammers has been engraved into the collective consciousness.

FireLance said:
I disagree. Ever since Warcraft II was released, the image of griffon-mounted dwarves throwing electrified returning warhammers has been engraved into the collective consciousness.

LOL
Warcraft II was never my thing. Sounds like a real cool idea though.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Khayman

First Post
Perhaps a Shetland pony. No, strike that; make it a DIRE Shetland pony. ;)

In our Known World campaign we had dwarf cavalry riding rams and giant lizards. Surefooted animals such as an Iceland pony or Gotland pony also suit the description of the dwarf --- stout, stubborn, occasionally shaggy.

On a related note, I like the picture at the top of the page (see link) though it certainly isn't dwarf sized...

http://viditelne.prase.cz/sport1.htm

Remove ads