What price bardic music?

takyris

First Post
So, according to UA, a fighter can give up his bonus feats and gain sneak attacks, and a rogue can do the reverse. I'm curious about applying this to other "improve with level" abilities.

For example (and I apologize if I'm screwing this up -- I'm at work, and my UA is at home), what would I give up to give a Fighter bardic musical abilities? Would giving up Fighter Bonus feats seem fair, or is that too great a loss for bardic music? Or not enough of a loss?

What if the character concept didn't include all the bardic music forms? Losing Fascinate, Suggestion, and Mass Suggestion, as well as the Song of Freedom and the Countersong, for example, and only keeping the songs that improve the fighter or his allies (Courage, Competence, Greatness, Heroics)? Would it make sense to get half as many fighter bonus feats (or half as many sneak attack progressions)?

(For example, a 10th-level "Swashbuckling Fighter" would have:

Sneak Attack +2d6 (at 3rd and 7th level)
Inspire Courage +2
Inspire Competence
Inspire Greatness

He'd also have 10d10 hit points, a BAB of +10, and Fort Good as a save, as well as standard fighter armor and weapon proficiencies. He would have no fighter bonus feats.)

Sammael

Adventurer
I'd evaluate bardic music as much weaker, overall, than bonus feats or sneak attack bonus. Bardic music + bardic spellcasting ability put together seem a bit stronger than bonus feats, but not much. So, I'd say you should gain 3 bardic music abilities for every two bonus feats you give up. Remember that Perfom isn't a class skill for fighters, although giving it to them doesn't seem like much.

takyris

First Post
Yeah, I'd also be giving the fighter Perform as a class skill. Dur.

In a slightly advanced version of this mod, I'd also be having him lose Tower Shield proficiency, Heavy Armor proficiency, and Medium Armor proficiency, while gaining 4 skill points per level and adding Diplomacy, Knowledge(Politics), and Bluff as class skills. Kind of a swashbuckling courtier-like class. It's a bit like the Thug in UA, but the Thug loses his first-level fighter bonus feat as well, and I don't have that first-level fighter bonus feat to play with (since I gave it up for Bardic Music and Half-Sneak-Attack progression). But I dunno.

It's really two different questions, since it's really two different character concepts. One guy wears plate mail and calls out chivalric stuff while smiting bad guys with a greatsword. The other guy wears a chain shirt and has a lot more skills, along with the inspirational calls to his friends. I don't remember if the thug's hit die dropped to d8, but if it did, I'd be fine with going that route for the full-on courtly warrior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases