Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I buy mostly at a FLGS, plus some items online

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I always buy everything at a FLGS

Votes: 18 15.4%

• Poll closed .

Turanil

First Post
I know there has already been a really long thread about buying rpg stuff preferably at a FLGS.

Now it happens that with the "Share the Love" discount, I noticed that many people here on Enworld also seem to prefer Amazon to buy rpg stuff (and I even don't know about other online stores!)

So, I would like to know if a majority or minority of us buy online or not.

Why do you prefer buying online, or FLGS? Those who think that gamers should preferably buy at FLGS, I would be curious to know your exact reasoning, not just a simple "because it supports the gaming industry". Actual anecdotes about buying online or buying at a FLGS are also welcome.

- As far as I am concerned, all the books I bought during those last months were bought on Amazon. My only motives are that I can get cheaper and faster than in my FLGS that must import them, thus sells them at a hefty price. (One example: I paid Menace Manual 13$ + 5$ for shipping, while I would have paid 35 euros, so almost 40$, at my FLGS.)

- One anedote: when buying on Amazon: Once I ordered some music CDs and got a shipment of 2 CDs that were obviously intended for someone else. I told Amazon that it wasn't what I had ordered, and that for shipping the stuff back I didn't want to pay anything. I was pleasantly surprised when they answered that I would soon receive what I had ordered, but that I could keep the other 2 CDs for free! (the procedure was in fact too costly for them to bother do it).

(A last thing: does "FLGS" means: "Front Local Gaming Store", or "Fantasy Literacy Gaming Store", or what?)

Thanks.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
i try and buy from my Friendly Local Gaming Store.

but they seem to go out of business too fast.

so if i can't find it there i buy online.

glass

(he, him)
I voted mostly FLGS. Since there were no options in the poll for local general book shops or comic/cult shops which carry a few games, I assumed they were included in FLGS.

There are three shops in Coventry, where I live, which sell gaming stuff. I like to use all of them on occassion (because I want to keep them around), although I use the dedicated games shop most.

Turanil said:
(A last thing: does "FLGS" means: Front Local Gaming Store?)

Friendly rather than front, I think.

johnsemlak

First Post
I think you're leaving out some options.

Some people buy stuff at large booksellers like (in the US) Barnes and Nobles and Borders.

Online orders might be divided into online retailers and auction sites like Ebay.

BTW, I believe FLGS means 'Friendly Local Game Shop', though I've seen multiple versions.

There are online options besides amazon.com, btw.

In the US, there are the following options (which ship internationally, I beleive:)

www.barnesandnoble.com
www.buy.com
www.alldirect.com
www.wal-mart.com (loathed by many gamers, but they do have good prices)

More fantasy-oriented shops:

www.frpgames.com

and of course...
http://enworld.rpgshop.com/

johnsemlak

First Post
FLGS--

Rememeber many gamers visit a FLGS for gaming needs that have nothing to do with fantasy, so the 'F' is definitely not for Fantasy.

Turanil

First Post
I voted mostly FLGS. Since there were no options in the poll for local general book shops or comic/cult shops which carry a few games, I assumed they were included in FLGS.

johnsemlak said:
I think you're leaving out some options.

Some people buy stuff at large booksellers like (in the US) Barnes and Nobles and Borders.

Online orders might be divided into online retailers and auction sites like Ebay.

BTW, I believe FLGS means 'Friendly Local Game Shop', though I've seen multiple versions.

There are online options besides amazon.com, btw.

In the US, there are the following options (which ship internationally, I beleive):
www.barnesandnoble.com
www.buy.com
www.alldirect.com
www.wal-mart.com (loathed by many gamers, but they do have good prices)
www.frpgames.com
http://enworld.rpgshop.com/

Online: Of course the term is used here for anything ordered through the Internet (not just Amazon).

FLGS and other stores: I didn't know that other shops than gaming stores could sell rpg stuff. Since it never happens in France, I assumed it was the same everywhere else... In fact, when I mean FLGS I mainly mean stores specialized in games, not big book stores which will have a few rpg stuff along gardening books and what not.

Belen

Adventurer
Online mostly, but I have some friends who own a FLGS, so I try to get one book a month from them.

Honestly, the FLGS need to expand with the times, and either add an online aspect to their business model or expand to have a wider selection of material. My friend's shop sells a messload of boardgames and puzzles and do better on that than the gaming stuff!

Online tends to be faster and cheaper. I can get it delivered to me and do not have to make lengthy drives in order to get what I want.

If my FLGS offered online order and delivery to my home, then I would frequent them more.

jinx crossbow

First Post
most pages I buy are online (EBay)
most money I spend is in the FLGS

I Buy online the things which are not "worth" to buy for the regular prize.
Our FLGS has prizess up to 50% higher than the bigest German Internet Shop.

Remove ads