Waxing and waning planar conjunctions

This particular entry in Monte Cook's design diary about Beyond Countless Doorways strikes a chord with me as I've considered a fair amount the idea of doing something similar for an alternate cosmology. Ironically, the idea seems to be especially in fashion these days, as Eberron has a similar idea.

Has anyone else done something similar, picking and choosing planes and reordering them completely in a new cosmology? If so, how have you done it? What are some ideas you've had?

I did this a year before BCD for a campaign that spans multiple worlds, using cosmic Ways that crisscross throughout the universe. That approach isn't as applicable to planar conjunctions, since all Lands only connected to the Ways.

What I've thought about for a BCD-style waxing and waning set of planar conjunctions was two ideas.

The first (so-so) involved twelve planes set up to reference the zodiac. Go check the horoscope on game night. Houses in the ascendant are waxing planar conjunctions. The waning ones are the opposite. The current zodiac plane is in very close contact with all other planes for it's month.

The second (better?) idea that popped into my head was also tied into the nature of magic. There are magical Flows in the cosmos between the planes. Planes pick up affinity to a certain type of magic. They get attracted to other "opposing" planes and drawn towards each other. En route, they can pass close to similar-affinity planes that repel them, sending them onto new courses. I like this theory better, but I'd have to sit down and decide on which planes to use to get a working model together.

Someday....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases