D&D 5E Report and advice after our first session in Ghosts of Saltmarsh

EdAbbey

Explorer
There are a couple of spoilers below.

Although it only arrived in my mailbox on Friday, last night I DM’d our group as we ran through part of the opening adventure in Ghosts of Saltmarsh - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. In prepping, I was too distracted by the high-quality first chapter of background information describing Saltmarsh as a setting. It's concise but very well done. As it turns out, I should have spent more time and put more effort into enhancing the actual dungeon (Chap 2).

So far, as presented, the first adventure comes off a bit repetitive. In the 20-odd areas on the ground and second floors of the manor where the adventure occurs, 3/4's of them have nothing of major significance. Most encounters are with insects. Multiple, similar, hidden compartments in fireplaces and chimneys yield some pretty paltry treasures. That being said, the repetitive inconsequential encounters have had a significant cumulative effect on our 1st-level party. We've had multiple characters knocked down to 0 HP and a couple very close calls with outright death. When we wrapped up last night, they'd blown through most of their HD and spell slots. They are poised to enter the caverns below the manor and are in no shape for the final, main encounter with a smuggler gang. Now, the options for our next session are a retreat/long rest or bumping them up to second level mid-stride. Story-wise and mechanics-wise, I'm not keen on either one of those options.

My advice to any DM's planning to run this would be to tweak the upper 2 floors of the manor. Cut out about 1/2 the rooms including most of the 'nothing of note' areas and at least a couple of the insect encounters. Perhaps one wing of the manor has collapsed from neglect and is now inaccessible. You may have to shift a couple of key encounters to other rooms but that shouldn't be a problem. As written, this converted 1e adventure module would have been a bit too slow, repetitive and dungeon-crawly for our liking. As the adventure book intends, incorporating the quality background material into the original storyline helps to spice it up. A few modifications to the dungeon layout would have also improved our session.

Experience: I DMed U1 in the 1980s.

Given the nature of the story it makes sense that most of the rooms are "nothing of interest". It's not a problem unless you expect the adventure to last several sessions. It's not slow, because the party can simply open the door, look inside, then move on. You don't need to treat every room as a major encounter. I would expect the party to complete both the house and the ship in one session. I wouldn't stuff the rooms with extra encounters, and there is no need to block off sections unless your party is seriously OCD.

An alternative approach would be to ladle the gothic atmosphere with a trowel. Make the party jump at every squeaking floorboard, so even an empty room is a terrifying experience. This approach would take a very skilled DM though (better than me!)

I have run the original adventure several times and haunted manor makes perfect sense being largely empty. The gang of smugglers need such a place for their hideout. It wouldn't make sense to have the manor's upper levels crammed with monsters, which would draw attention to the place, while the smugglers operating below are trying to keep a low profile. One way to add a bit of interest without overstocking the place would be to add some actual haunting to the manor. Doors that open and close themselves, furniture that rearranges itself, an even the rare but occasional attack by inanimate objects. The manor could be haunted by the spirit of dead alchemist who resents his home being used by the smugglers. A few well placed haunting effects could keep the PC's jumpy and alert even without monster/combat encounters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Scooby Dooby Doo,
Where are you?

I’ve always loved that the first half of SSoS is a Scooby Doo episode.

And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those meddling kids!

[video] https://youtu.be/hXUqwuzcGeU[/video]

Last edited:

Luz

Explorer
I've run this back in the day as well as recently (just before GoS was announced), and I find the house still works fairly well. There are a lot of empty rooms but, as other posters mentioned, it only makes sense given the nature of the adventure setting and the house can be cleared fairly quickly. Taking some liberties with a few classic haunted house trappings (doors opening/closing themselves, whispers from unseen sources, etc.) adds an effective slow creep to this part of the adventure.

Warning! Spoilers ahead....

In my recent campaign, I did add one encounter in the attic. The PCs are asked to help find a missing citizen of Saltmarsh and their investigation leads them to the house. As it turns out, this citizen had learned of the smugglers but was caught and murdered by them, and his corpse was stuffed in the attic. He became a spectre that was confined to the attic, so the PCs had to deal with it once they discovered his fate. This also helped scratch the 'haunted house' itch that the PCs expect.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've run this back in the day as well as recently (just before GoS was announced), and I find the house still works fairly well. There are a lot of empty rooms but, as other posters mentioned, it only makes sense given the nature of the adventure setting and the house can be cleared fairly quickly. Taking some liberties with a few classic haunted house trappings (doors opening/closing themselves, whispers from unseen sources, etc.) adds an effective slow creep to this part of the adventure.

Warning! Spoilers ahead....

In my recent campaign, I did add one encounter in the attic. The PCs are asked to help find a missing citizen of Saltmarsh and their investigation leads them to the house. As it turns out, this citizen had learned of the smugglers but was caught and murdered by them, and his corpse was stuffed in the attic. He became a spectre that was confined to the attic, so the PCs had to deal with it once they discovered his fate. This also helped scratch the 'haunted house' itch that the PCs expect.

Doesn’t that defeat the point of the story, where the whole gimmick is that the house *isn’t* haunted?

Nebulous

Legend
I ran the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh for 5e about 3 years ago. We got to the end in 6 or 7 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was creepiness and weirdness, and some good fights.

The recap of Part 1 is here if anyone is curious. I honestly don't remember what stuff I added or what was in the actual adventure, but I did add some elements.

https://app.box.com/s/6pa5twkt8trr1e7z4ehtscnmvw8jzawz

G

Guest 6801328

Doesn’t that defeat the point of the story, where the whole gimmick is that the house *isn’t* haunted?

I might add something like mysterious creaking or footsteps, and then when the attic is explored they find a rope that runs from a weathervane to a device that makes the noises. Just to drive the point home that not only is the house not haunted but clearly somebody wants it to appear so.

The one thing I'd like to figure out is to give them a feeling of having found the trap door through deduction and cleverness, without just making it a skill check. You know, challenge the player and all.

Luz

Explorer
I don't think sprinkling in a few haunted house tropes to play on the PCs' expectations disrupts the plot. As elfctusher mentioned, they could be explained by a weathervane, etc. Or not at all...not everything needs an explanation when the DM is trying to create a certain atmosphere. While I like the house as presented, there's a wonderful opportunity to play up the haunted aspect of it and put the PCs on edge. I found it makes the big reveal of the smugglers more satisfying.

I kept the encounter with the spectre isolated to just the attic, so it didn't mess with the smuggler plotline. So it worked well as a short diversion without having to rework the entire story.

Remove ads