Do You Want 9 New D&D Classes?

Beast-tamers, gunfighters, tinkerers, savants, and more! These new classes expand your 5th Edition game in exciting new ways! Coming to Kickstarter soon! In 2017 we produced A TOUCH OF CLASS, a softcover book containing seven new classes for your 5th Edition game. It was incredibly popular, with nearly 2,500 backers. Now we're bringing you the sequel: nine new player classes in A TOUCH MORE CLASS. Here's how you get notified of the launch!

Beast-tamers, gunfighters, tinkerers, savants, and more! These new classes expand your 5th Edition game in exciting new ways! Coming to Kickstarter soon! In 2017 we produced A TOUCH OF CLASS, a softcover book containing seven new classes for your 5th Edition game. It was incredibly popular, with nearly 2,500 backers. Now we're bringing you the sequel: nine new player classes in A TOUCH MORE CLASS. Here's how you get notified of the launch!

atmc-banner.png

We'll be launching in about a month, and we'll have early bird rewards, If you want us to email you and tell you when we launch, click here and give us your email address! We won't use it for anything else.

Not only that, but we're also revising the original A TOUCH OF CLASS. You can get that revised edition through this Kickstarter too (backers of the previous Kickstarter will get the revised PDF for free).

A TOUCH OF CLASS: Alchemist, Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, Occultist.

A TOUCH MORE CLASS: Bloodweaver, Fatebender, Gemini, Geomancer, Gunfighter, Lodestar, Monster Tamer, Savant, Tinkerer.

You can get either or both books from this Kickstarter.

bloodw.pngalche.png
gemini.pngcardc.png
gunf.pngdiablo.png
savant.pngfeywa.png
tinker.pngmorph.png
fate.pngnoble.png
geomanc.pngoccul.png
lodes.pngtamer.png

Rellott

Explorer
Do You Want 9 New D&D Classes?

For typical 3PP, that is entirely true. However, there is some Critical Role material present, including a class.

If there were a route for a 3PP to code, review and submit for approval classes - to Beyond - and then get them approved for inclusion on the site, that 3PP might have a signifiant advantage in selling their materials (both physical and perhaps on Beyond). I'm imagining Beyond charging a fee for the review and approval process and then taking a cut of digital sales, so it would likely end up having a barrier to entry that would preclude small folks from submitting, but it would be interesting to see some of the more significant 3PP materials included.

Critical Role has a pretty tight connection with WotC, and the gunslinger fighter archetype and the blood hunter class were (and still are) some of the most popular items for sale on DMs Guild when Beyond launched. I think that’s the connection that got them there. You’ll note that they have not since added Mercer’s barbarian totem path - they seem to have put all 3PP on the back burner.

If there were a route for that, that would indeed be awesome and you’re probably right about the licensing. But there isn’t. Like I initially said, 3PP has either been removed from their future plans or pushed waaaaaay back.

Smarmot

Explorer
How about 9 more?

Can you please work on the following expansion that includes these classes:
Mutant, Creep, Trollblooded, Edgemaster, Katanaboo, Homebody, Psychopath, Bartender and Turd Burglar

FXR

Explorer
I'll answer by the negative.

None of these classes seem to add something to the game.

A noble class is completely useless. If a player wants his character to be a noble, he can simply chose the appropriate background and have decent social skills.

A beast tamer can be a druid or a ranger. This class seems to step on the toes of existing archetypes, which is very wrong.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I'll answer by the negative.

None of these classes seem to add something to the game.

A noble class is completely useless. If a player wants his character to be a noble, he can simply chose the appropriate background and have decent social skills.

A beast tamer can be a druid or a ranger. This class seems to step on the toes of existing archetypes, which is very wrong.

The noble class is from A Touch of Class, not A Touch More Class. Morrus is a busy guy doing a lot of things all the time (on his way to a convention right now I think!) and I keep reminding him not to call the monster tamer a beast tamer because yes a druid or ranger is absolutely doing that already! Monster tamers are tamers of more than beasts however and run the gamut from aberrations to monstrosities (any monster under Intelligence 6, basically--not just animals).

As for the subclasses/archetypes thing, that's something we are very conscious of. You can read more about the design process in the blog series I'm posting about ATMC, but specific to your concerns:

DESIGN HURDLE: “This should be a fighter archetype.”

The biggest obstacle with the gemini class is one that people really like to kick up whenever a new class is being considered: that it should be an archetype. In the case of the gemini it’s not too much of a hurdle fortunately, but it certainly felt like it was going to be impossible until a) I thought of the semi-real duplicates Multiply feature as a replacement for Extra Attack, and b) realized the potential for blazingly cool subclasses with Gemini Balances, intertwining roleplaying aspects into the class’ fundamental traits.

and more in-depth in a post going up in a couple weeks:

#1 - "THAT SHOULD BE A SUBCLASS"

This is far and away the most common remark on new classes but before addressing it I want to clarify something that I constantly see people get wrong: Wizards of the Coast did not invent archetypes/subclasses, the golems at Paizo Publishing did that in the first edition of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Please give credit where it is due.
So why isn't everything in ATMC a subclass or series of archetypes? As a handy rule if you've only got one or two original mechanics and central aspects to the class you're building, you probably are building an archetype. There are other considerations (see below) but that should be in the fore of your mind.
That's not a hard and fast rule however, and if you're only introducing one unique and central mechanical concept--like bloodweavers manipulating their hit points to eke out more magic use or the tempo of lodestars in combat--that might fit the bill.
Consider this: almost every core class has at least one main mechanic that influences how it is played which is shared across all of its subclasses. Fluid spell resources Sorcerer Points and Metamagic, Sneak Attack and Uncanny Dodge, Divine Smite, Rage, and so on. These are so focused so that in subclasses players can choose to keep the simplicity and main essence of the class (see Champion or Thief), or they can dip their toes into something more complex (like spellcasting with Arcane Tricksters or Eldritch Knight). If you're building a new class its shtick needs to complement the existing central mechanics of the core classes and work with them, not copy or interfere with them.

Post is fairly disappointing, too. :)
Your post? I don’t think there was anything wrong with it. Once you actually get inside the thread, it’s immediately clear you’re talking about a third party product. I just got my hopes up because you sometimes announce news about official D&D products. I was like “Oh damn, are they releasing a Player’s Handbook 2 or something?”

Remove ads

Remove ads