D&D 5E 5e .

Dausuul

Legend
Don't cast mage armor. Cast sleep instead. Then see if anyone in your group still buys your complaints about low-level wizards.

Last edited:

Unsure if the first post is a sarcastic strawman for a future post, a troll, or a misguided wizard fan sad they're no longer king at level 14...

Okay, wizards at level 1. Yup, they squishy, cast mage amour to avoid being hit, have the same number of spells as a druid who can also fight, have to make attack rolls with cantrips, and can only make a single attack to the monk's two.

Completely unlike Pathfinder where a level 1 wizard is squishy, cast mage amour to avoid being hit - which lasts 1 hour instead of 8, has the same number of spells as a druid who can also fight and has an animal companion, has to make an attack roll with most cantrips to do a third as much damage (1d3 vs 1d8-1d10), and can only make a single attack compared to the monk's two that are doing 1d6+3 damage (opposed to 1d4+3 damage). Yup, completely different.

Using the same dice rolls that I got for the wizard, I've made a fighter, 1st level, human variant and taken Dual Wield as a feat and two weapon fighting as a feature. He can now do 2 attacks a round, wield 2 medium weapons; I had one roll of 18 and pumped his strength up to 20; if he hits twice he does 2D8+10. That's round after round after round. How is that in anyway equal to the wizard that I made?

Rolling an 18 on a stat is statistically improbably, so not a good measuring stick. But if that wizard was a human with an 20 Int they'd have a spell save of 15 at level one and a spell attack of +7, which are pretty good.
Oh, and with that feat you could get, oh Lightly Armoured, and walk around in actual armour freeing up a spell slot, and still cast spells without a penalty. Or the Magical Adept feat and get two cantrips and a spell (we'll say mage armour) as a bonus. Or maybe Spell Sniper so you can cast shocking grasp at targets within 10 feet of you (or a firebolt from 200+ feet away), thus reducing the need for armour.
That sounds pretty good compared a fighter that can only attack twice while right beside a bad guy.

But, hey, if you really like Pathfinder and want to stick with it, you don't need to justify it to us. Play whatever game you like. And if you tried 5e once and didn't like it, that's fine too.
However, you should really be prepared to give a game a fair try with an open mind, and actually compare it to Pathfinder in terms of strengths and weaknesses. If you still want to keep playing Pathfinder, that's cool. I still have my PF books on my shelf and might go back to that system someday.
But please don't come to a 5e forum and start a fight because you personally prefer a different system.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'm still trying to find this 'Chelsmford' place the guy lives. Can't find it on any map.
That's funny. There is a Chelmsford in Massachusetts about 30 miles northwest of Boston. But his bio shows he is in Chelmsford, Essex in the UK.

I don't agree with the OP's assessment of the Wizard, nor the tone of his post, but don't blame him if you can't use a map.

edit: Ninja'd
I have been on the boards to long when I no longer notice a typo/misspelling.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Probably a typo of Chelmsford. There's one in Massachusetts, USA, and Essex, UK.

That's funny. There is a Chelmsford in Massachusetts about 30 miles northwest of Boston. But his bio shows he is in Chelmsford, Essex in the UK.

I don't agree with the OP's assessment of the Wizard, nor the tone of his post, but don't blame him if you can't use a map.

You both took the fun outta it! I shoulda added the winky-face after my post I guess. ;)

(Yes, I gathered he just misspelled it, but I thought it funny he went through all the trouble to set up a new account just to post a trolling message about the wizard but couldn't even be bothered to spell his own city right. LOL!)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You both took the fun outta it! I shoulda added the winky-face after my post I guess. ;)

(Yes, I gathered he just misspelled it, but I thought it funny he went through all the trouble to set up a new account just to post a trolling message about the wizard but couldn't even be bothered to spell his own city right. LOL!)
Well, it's like my grandmother always told me. "@Twosix, you're a goddamn fun-sucker!" It happens.

Remove ads