Pillars of Eternity 2 crowdfunding adds PnP RPG starter rules

sim-h

Explorer
In case anyone over here is interested, the Fig.co (KS alternative) campaign for cRPG Pillars of Eternity 2 just added a pen and paper RPG starter set of rules. A new entrant in the PnP market coming up in future?

Also - the game looks great, check out the Lore section of Update #9, I find that a really interesting sounding setting.

sim-h

Explorer
Fig allows individuals to actively invest lump sums in the game and share in the profits, rather than just back the project to receive a slightly discounted product. Not that *I've* reserved an investment and am now promoting the game, nooooo (full disclosure - erm...yes I have....although due to exchange rate considerations I may not take it up, need to read the small print once it arrives)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would imagine they lose a huge chunck of interest, visibility, donations by going with some obscure unknown site...

They sent out emails to all of the backers of the first one, and it's in the News section when you play the first one. So they will miss the people browsing on KS, but not the original backers.

As for why, I was wondering that myself, though [MENTION=6813788]sim-h[/MENTION] may have the right of it. Fig may also take a smaller cut of the pledge.

CapnZapp

Legend
They sent out emails to all of the backers of the first one, and it's in the News section when you play the first one. So they will miss the people browsing on KS, but not the original backers.
I have seen at least two projects languish because the creators didn't fully appreciate how much bigger Kickstarter is than all the rest (this was indiegogo) combined.

I'm sure this project has enough name recognition to not fail outright, but each million bucks less... right?

sim-h

Explorer
Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian Entertainment is on the advisory board and part of that involves putting out their games through Fig. I suspect they didn't actually particularly need to crowdfund, thanks to the reasonable success of the first game.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I have seen at least two projects languish because the creators didn't fully appreciate how much bigger Kickstarter is than all the rest (this was indiegogo) combined.

I'm sure this project has enough name recognition to not fail outright, but each million bucks less... right?

I went on Fig, and it looks like they take a 2.7% cut as a transaction cost. I know a few years back between KS and Amazon for payment it was like 10%.

But yeah, might be penny wise and pound foolish to save hundreds of thousands in transaction fees (they are about 2.5mil right now, so if that 10% was still true it would be $250K vs. $67.5K) they could be missing out on millions in actual sales. On the other hand, the original went on Steam so as long as they are making enough to finish development ($1.1mil goal already met) they can just sell via normal channels once released.

Remove ads